Cough and sneezing with reflux

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi can anyone identify with having a ticker cough and sneezing with refux .This has just started with me and consider with me changing from Omaprazole to Nexium .Help is it acid in my lungs or just throat nose irritation also Acid seems to get worse in evening and when I'm constipated !! Help !!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

The cough is from reflux rather than acid.

Although PPIs are good at reducing acid, thereby making the reflux less dangerous, they may not be as effective at reducing the reflux which you'll need to manage by lifestyle. The cough was my worst symptom and I was takiing 80mg omeprazole a day. I had reflux reduction surgery (fundoplication) to stop mine (and no longer need PPIs).

See the chapter on extra-oesophageal reflux in the www DownWithAcid org uk book / website.

Despite Astra Zeneca's declarations, omeprazole and Nexium are equally as effective at reducing acid and no better at reducing reflux. Nexium (esomeprazole) was introduced by AZ when their patent on Losec (oemprazole) ran out. Chemically,omeprazole contains two enantiomers - the S and the N. They separated them and produced esomeprazole using just the S enantiomer. There's no evidence to show the S enantiomer is any more efficient than the N enantiomer. (The manufacturers of lansoprazole then tried something similar and isolated the N-enatiomer of their drug which is marketed as Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) . )

• Posted

Please could you explain a bit more.

I thought that the reflux or the liquid that flows back was acid. So do you mean that the acid content of the reflux is lower or neutral but the amount of the reflux is not reduced.

Further I read somewhere that in silent reflux it's been found that it's not acid but pepsin that is the irritant or damaging element and this doesn't cause heartburn because it hits the larynx in aerosol form presumably through belching bypassing gather common heartburn site.

• Posted

Anything that flows from the stomach into the oesophagus is reflux.

The stomach produces highly concentrated hydrochloric acid that can cause permanent damage to the oeosphagus. Neutralising th ecaid does not mean there's nothing left that can flow back. Anything refluxing can cause problems.

"Acid Reflux" is always grouped as if it's one condition when in reality it's far more complex and at its most basic comprises reflux and acid as two different elements. Heartburn is oesophagitis caused by acid burn.

There are all sorts of theories propounded regarding pepsin being the bad guy for LPR (with the princial proponent beng Jamie Koufman who coined the term "LPR"). Pepsin is produced n the stomach and if found in the throat indicates reflux must have occured. However, even if it was just neutral water refluxing into the throat and thence aspirated, it can cause bronchitis, pneumonia, bronchiectasis, and aspirate into the nose, ears and eyes etc. And any foreign matter will trigger the mucosal cells of those organs to excrete excess mucous (phlegm) in an attempt to remove it.

• Posted

i get very irritated (burning) nose, throat, and itchy ears  every day. the intensity changes (randomly)...this irriation in my nose starts me sneezing (ususally about 7/8 sneezes at a time)
  • Posted

If the sneezing has started in the last couple of months could it be hay fever as well as your usual reflux symptoms?

• Posted

Hi

I too have niggling cough and sneezing, I sound like I have a cold.. I was on omeprazole for almost 10 years and changed to Nexium about a year ago, it was a bit better for the acid but I still have the reflux. I have a hiatus hernia too. I had my pre op assessment today for to have FUNDIPLICATION and Hiatus Hernia repair on the 8th of June as I'm fed up with medication and symptoms. Also the consultant told me that the phlegm is neutralised acid and can still cause problems and possible damage later in life..

• Posted

yes coughing ticklish cough then couple of sneezes this just developed overtime.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.