Cough lasting 5 weeks, I’m worried

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all I’m a little worried. For 5 weeks now I’ve had a bad chesty cough that brings up mucus (blood twice) and can make me vomit (and has made me vomit almost everyday for 2 weeks now due to constant coughing). It seems to get worse at night when I’m in bed and when I leave the house it gets very bad and I get breathlessness and the cough gets worse. I’m worried, although I’ve been to the doctor twice. Both times they have given me antibiotics, the first course didn’t work and the second course I’m only two days into but still no difference. The doctor said it sounds like a chest infection but surely it would get better in 5 weeks and two courses of antibiotics?? I’m 18 years old and have smoked before but on and off for a few months but I’m having a little cancer scare. Can anyone give me any advice or their own stories on a chest infection?? Thank you! 

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

i would ask my doctor to do a cxr of your lungs. And go from there
  • Posted

hi Chloe, i wouldnt worry about the cancer thing. however, i would quit smoking. they now know how bad it is for you and it costs too much money and it makes you, your hair, and your clothes smell bad (you cant smell it but everyone else can) ok, enough of that. that second antibiotic....they usually take 2 or 2 1/2 days before you begin to feel better. did they not do a chest x ray to see if you have pneumonia?  as for the blood, you have probably coughed so much and so hard that you have broken a little capillary of something in your throat. And as for the time, sometimes it takes longer. apparently the 1st antibiotic wasnt the right one to kill the germ so you just stay sick longer and maybe this 2nd one will start giving you some relief. did they give you any cough syprup? i would get some. you shouldnt cough that hard. you need your sleep. i have been sick for longer than that but i am older.  dont worry about that but if you have to go back, insist on an x ray. good luck to you sweetie and DONT SMOKE.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.