Cough mixture

Posted , 5 users are following.

I suffer from anxiety and an insomnia and a friend told me to try benylin cough mixture . It does work, but I'm using it to often, and local chemists refuse to sell it. Last local chemist produced a book and wanted my name and address and date and signature. I know chemists can refuse to sell, but I was mortified by this book. I was so embarrassed and told her to forget it and walked out. Has any one else been asked to sign for over the counter medicines?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I used to work in a pharmacy, any thing that has addictive things in it

we would notice if people kept buying large quantities and ask them about

it as so many Orc things can be abused it's for your benefit really.

we never took down people's names and addresses though.

as your using this often it would seem your getting dependant on this and 

would need more and more.

i myself was addicted to dyhydrocodeine for a couple of years stopped

on New Year's Eve it's the best thing I've done.

maybe you could speak to your GP about not sleeping etc and get some 

help it's better in long run than having to go around different chemist to

try and get meds, I hope this helps Ann

• Posted

Hi vickylou, 

I've never been asked to sign my name in order to get an over-the-counter medicine. However, I'm sure your pharmacist will just be trying to do the best for your health. If you are using a medicine for a use other than what it is intended then you should probably see your doctor who can give you professional advice. You mention anxiety and insomnia, have you ever seeked help for these conditions? Rather than just treating a symptom you may be able to get help to treat the source of these conditions. 

I hope this helps. 

• Posted

I understand how you like Benylin. I took it and a person spoke to me and I couldn't answer. Just smiled at them.

Yes, ofcourse people in the chemist will recognise you. I went to chemists all over London.

How much were you taking?

I don't buy  Benylin now. Have diazepam and pregabalin for anxiety. It helps me a great deal.

If you don't get anything from your doctor then persist. See another doctor.

Let me know how it goes.

• Posted

I went to see my dr and told her everything. She changed my medication from trazadone to citalopram. I've also found sleeping better if I go to bed between 10-11pm rather than putting it off until 1am. No longer buying benylin. Thanks for replying, makes me feel less of a freak!
  • Posted

Do they have Valerian Root in your area? Its a supplement...and it is for anxiety..which maybe would also inmprove your insomnia.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.