Cough with indigestion?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have a hiatus hernia for some ten years now and eventually I was put on a daily lanzoprazole which kept it under control for roughly two years I had no symptoms hardly at all, lately though I have developed a morning cough along with indigestion, sorry this unpleasant but like there was sick in my throat which stings rather rabbidly and am concerned, anyone else get this?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

i had the hh repair in march best thing i ever did.  I suffered for years pain that mimics a heart attack and coughing the past year was so imbarrassing.  Everybody would look wondering what was it i had.  i coughed to the point of running and vommiting.  I had both nissen fundoplication and hh repair.  The cough and indigestion ended a week after surgery,,,,,,thank God i lived like that for years, until the last year with the coughing, which i knew i could no longer go on like this.  I was chewing cough drops all the time to stop the cough....Have it checked out with your gastrp dr. . no need to suffer like that.  Rx .nexium was good until i had the surgery it worked well.   Now i will never need another ppi and no problems any more,  liz
  • Posted

Hi, fiona:  I have a HUGE hiatal hernia and have landed in the ER twice with it.  I can only eat about three bites of food at a time, but have to eat often.  The doctor game me an anti-spasmatic for it, which helps, but the secret is to just eat a very little, but eat several times a day...Hope this helps...
    • Posted

Why aren't you having the HH repaired ?   Im not quite sure why your dr has not recommended it

• Posted

Because for one thing not all hiatus hernias are considered serious enough for surgery, and it's a major operation where they have to break ribs, it is not undergone lightly, particularly not at age 57, do you have any idea how difficult surgery is to obtain on the NHS these days, surgeons are naturally reluctant.

• Posted

Most HH is repaired by keyhole surgery as part of fundoplication. (Open methods with breaking ribs is no longer used.)

If yur reflux (as opposed to acidity) is bad, you may ask your consultant /  GP for a surgeon referral to discuss this option.

I had my fundo when I was 60 on NHS. Because mine failed a few years later (due to 5 hours violent retching from norovirus), I had Collis-Nissen revision (more permanent) a couple of years ago on NHS aged 66.

• Posted

I can thoroughly sympathise.

I have had reflux symptoms all my life (I'm 68) but they were never identified as such until about 12 years ago. The reflux cough was my worst symptom latterly. Previoulsy it had been heartburn like a blow torch down my throat and 80mg omeprazole a day removed the acid burn but not the reflux itself.

For me the answer was to have reflux reductin surgery (a fundoplication) which gave me my life back.

Read the chapter on extra-oesophageal reflux in the free book / website: www DownWithAcid org uk

• Posted

Hi, Barretts: I'm 68, also, and my doctor gives me Prilosec and it works well for me.  He said it is too risky for surgery.  My pain is on my left side below my rib cage.  When it go into spasm, it feels just like a heart attack.  I take anti-spasmatic pills so I won't have another attack...

• Posted

Fiona   I am 65 and had reflux since 20 years of age...I did see doctors but they never really addressed it because the attcks that i called them happened about a couple times a year.  After the baby was born, i ended up will gall bladder surgery figuring that was the cause of all this, because there were many stones.  It was better for sometime until later years such as the past year....nightmare and hell with chest pains, constant coughing, hoarseness, finally had two  excellent doctors that followed through it took about 1 year.  They went through the course of different PPIs ...The nissen fundoplication and HH repair was done in March.  Thank God for it as I could not bare going through life like I was....I felt like a walking time bomb never knowing when the attacks in the chest would start and the incessant coughing got bad.  SO my friends out there dont suffer as long as i did and seek out different doctors and get answers.....The motility study and ph probe were a sure thing to resolution....not guessing around any more.  Glad to hear your well again.....We have our lives back...I am still recovering as far as eating certain things particularly pastries and breads.  The gas is an issue sometimes but that is part of the healing process and in time it too will be gone.  It has only been 5 months.  Take care and God Bless    Liz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.