Cough with reflux?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've suffered on and off with acid reflux for many years but four weeks ago I had a soreness in the centre of my chest and felt a little off colour which lasted for one day. The next day I developed a cough which is tickly and slightly loose but not coughing anything up, other than that my health is fine. I've had two telephone conversations with different Gp's where the first one diagnosed viral Bronchitis (I have never had a chest infection before and don't smoke). Twelve days later the second Gp prescribed antibiotics without seeing me but they have done nothing at all to help my cough although he did say that the cough could go on for some weeks. I'm now four weeks down the line and my symptoms are just the same despite taking Lanzoprazole, Antihistamine and Sudafed nasal spray. I've never had a cough with reflux before its always been just heartburn and indigestion so I'm not sure what to do. I should say that Covid 19 has been ruled out too but this doesn't stop me from worrying as I suffer greatly from anxiety and this cough is also really getting me down...........

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

you possibly have larynpharangial reflux...ie..lpr. That's when reflux comes up and irritates the throat. google it.

• Posted

I'm glad they ruled out covid19 . I have acid reflux also. It started in November. I have had a dry cough since then. It was a lot worse before I started my ppi in February but I am still coughing at times. I was told that it would take awhile to heal. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Mazzy

I have Gerd/Acid Reflex and have continual cough with it. Been a couple of years now but it does leave me on and off.

Robin

• Posted

I cough a lot because of reflux. Especially at night when i sleep. Sometimes I can't stop coughing and I wake up. It also happens during the day when i bend down for example.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.