Cough won’t go away

Posted , 4 users are following.

for the past 2 months ive had this daily cough that just won't go away. I don't have any other cold symptoms. i had a low grade fever for one night about a week ago but it went away when i took an Advil and ive been fine since. I was also having at least one or two heart palpitations a day each lasting a couple seconds but i've been taking magnesium for those and they've gone away. This cough will not. it didn't start with a cold either so i have no idea how or why it started. I went to the doctor and got an EKG (i was afraid of heart failure) and my EKG came back normal. He listened to my lungs and said they sounded fine. I Also got a bunch of blood work done and that came back ALMOST normal. i do have slightly low hemoglobin apparently. He prescribed me antibiotics and they didn't do anything for me. i don't know how else to combat this. I don't have health insurance so i really cant keep running to the doctor.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

What type of cough have you got and how does your chest feel?

• Posted

the cough is usually kind of dry. I'm definitely not coughing up a bunch of mucus. it doesn't hurt and i also don't cough in my sleep according to other people. my chest feels fine.

• Posted

Do you ever get a warm feeling over your lungs or any little pin prickly feelings? Is it ever difficult to take a full deep breath or feel like you need to yawn but can't?

Also do you mind me asking how old you are?

• Posted

No to the warm feeling and prickly feeling, yes to the difficulty taking a full breath sometimes

• Posted

Just to be on the safe side, get a d-dimer blood test. If it comes back high, you will need a chest CT with contrast. It could be pulmonary emboli which is best caught at early stages. I think a lingering cough is always best checked out. Are you on the contraceptive pill, or have you been in the past? Do you or have you smoked?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.