Coughing after eating or drinking

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum; I joined because my Mom has been diagnosed with bronchiectasis. After 15 years of coughing and mucus congestion she was finally diagnosed. She wanted me to ask if any of you experience coughing after eating or drinking.  My Mom said she can take just a sip of water or eat one or two bites and start coughing and it takes a long time to get her throat clear afterwards. It does not seem to be a sensitive area of her throat and she does not experience the trouble breathing that another member described here.  She has been checked by an ENT doc and they did a swallow test that did not result in any findings. She has also been  tested for gerds and acid reflux and does not have either one. 

Just wondering if eating or drinking causes things to be worse for anyone else here. 

Thanks,

Katherine

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Katherine! You’ve come to right place for help and support. Yes, I also seem to struggle with frequent choking when I eat or drink. I do OK as long as I concentrate and take small bites. I do have GERD. Just had upper and lower GI checked, and he stretched my esophagus a little because of my complaint with this problem, even though he didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. Has maybe helped a little. I just always have water at the ready when I eat. So sorry it has taken so long to diagnose your Mom. Hopefully they’ll begin culturing her sputum so they can prescribe antibiotics specific to her needs if/when she has an exacerbation. Prayers for you, and all of us.
  • Posted

This was a terrible problem for my ex tho he only had COPD & heart trouble. He discovered that he couldn't drink cold drinks, especially cold water & milk. He loved milk! As to food, just smaller & smaller bites, preferably w/sauce or gravy. He also loved nuts, and had to give them up after too many coughing/choking sessions. Crackers & toast, 2 more faves of his, went away eventually.

Over in the Sjogren's forum here there are a lot of conversations about swallowing issues. Some people are helped by taking a sip or two of warm water before each bite.

Sadly, your mom has to experiment to see what she can and cannot eat. Some folks have to give up white bread & some have to give up all bread/pita/tortillas/naan. I hope she likes gravy.

• Posted

Hello,

Water stops me from coughing. I do have to eat slow or I will choke. I used to cough a lot. When I change my diet to eating healthy and organic foods with weight loss the coughing goes away. When I start eating unhealthy the cough comes back.

• Posted

Hi Katherine and mom:

It took a long time for me to be diagnosed correctly too - years also. I am glad you brought up the problem with coughing and swallowing while eating. I have it too but was not sure if it was related but now think it is.  Since I have been managing expelling mucus better, the issue for me is not so much coughing any more but swallowing is hard.  Food always has to be moist and if not I have to wash it down with a liquid.  It takes me foreever eat.  I hope you and your mom find a way to deal with this problem since it is important to eat well and keep up your strength.

• Posted

Thanks to all of you who responded to my question. My Mom was relieved to know that others are having this issue and I have shared  all of your comments with her. Thanks again!

Katherine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.