Coughing for 6 weeks

Posted , 3 users are following.

ive been coughing now for 6 weeks, been to the doctors twice, everything is clear on my chest no sign of fever. He gave me a nasal spray first time and a inhaler (preventor) the second time!! this seems to be having no effect at all.

I sometimes feel short on breath but only after coughing alot, it sounds terrible and it is a real bark, has anyone any idea what could help or any idea what it could be 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

How old are you friend? I haven't had a cough but I have had shortness of breath for almost two years now with chest tightness, stomach tightness after eating, feeling like my chest isn't expanding fully, wheezing from nose and sometimes mouth along with a constant urge of needing to inhale deeply which gets cut off and leads me to yawn constantly to try and catch my breath.

I've had so many tests done. Chest X-ray, Spriometry, Pulmonary Function test, Blood test, Alpha 1 Gene test, EKG, Walk test and allergy test which all came back normal.. The doctors can't seem to find what is causing my issues so they also gave me a nasal spray and a Ventolin inhaler which I have been using and nothing has changed what's so ever in my symptoms. I'm only 23 non smoker who never did any drugs in my entire life. I have been around second hand smoke unforutanly and I am a firefighter right now in nursing school. I'm hoping I don't have early COPD but it seems like it is becoming more common for people in there 20's.

What tests have you had done sir?

• Posted

im 38 mate and also a non smoker, i keep myself fit by mountain running and cycling

its just so frustrating!! 

• Posted

Yeah your not old by any means. Have you scheduled an appointment with a pulmonary doctor?
    • Posted

Well if you have been having an ongoing cough and feel short of breath than I advise you to go see a pulmonary doctor. You should get a pulmonary function test to see how well your lungs are functioning.
    • Posted

i have all the symptoms you have but i have just had a severe chest infection and pneumonia 6 weeks ago it all started my doctors are starting to get mystyfied why i am still having these symptoms 1 did actually say they could be phscological which i disagree with x i havent had any other tests apart from blood and xray up to now x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.