Coughing up blood

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all. Have been diagnosed with COPD stage 2 since Jan. 2016. Am a 57 year old non-smoker. Every ten months or so, for the last three years, I have experienced sudden incidents of coughing up blood. My doctor did a Bronchoscopy but was not able to discover the cause. Is there anyone else experiencing this scary symptom? Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi sorry to hear this.  It is common with lung disease to occasionally cough up a little blood.  This is because the small veins in your neck are quite fragile and break easity.  If it is only a little and bright red this is almost certainly the cause.

If it is darker blood this can be more serious coz this comes from deeper in the lungs. 

Have you had an x-ray or a CT scan?   This should show if there is any problem. 

• Posted

Hi Hypercat. Thanks so much for your response. The blood is dark red and gets coughed up in clots(gross, I know!). I do have an X-ray scheduled soon so hopefully will learn more. Cheers,

Carol

• Posted

I do have that from time to time if I have an infection and am coughing a lot. It is frightening but you've done the right thing by seeing your doctor. As hypercat advises see if you can get an X-ray or scan. 

• Posted

Thanks so much for your response. I do have an exray scheduled in the next month and hopefully will learn more about what's causing this. Cheers,

Carol

• Posted

Personally I have only had this with a serious lung infection which lead to pneumonia.  I have been living with COPD in excess of 12 years now.  I have experienced coughing up blood on only 2 occasions.

I would suggest whenever this happens you should have your lungs checked and sputum sample tested.  Speak with your doctor each time, the GP surgery should be able to supply you with a sterile container to have at home and replace it each time you use it to provide a sample.

Be sure to ask for your results and perhaps ask for a copy of these results too.  Anything growing in the sputum sample will show and the correct anti biotic can be prescribed.

From my own experience I would be concerned if this was happening to me every ten months.

Perhaps speak with the British Lung foundation helpline for further advice or contact the lung foundation / association in your own country for their views.

• Posted

Thanks you so much for your advice. I will follow up as you've suggested.

Carol

• Posted

Thinking of you Carol and hope the test results came back ok.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.