Coughing up Blood

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello all! I have bronchiectasis, asthma and pseudomonas for years now. Just getting over a nasty bout of coughing up blood. This is so unsettling and terrifying! I was thinking that if I knew more about the "unknown" perhaps I could remain calmer. Have any of you had to go to ER for coughing up larger amounts of blood? What do they do for you at that time? I just think about all the cowboy movies I saw as a little girl and every time blood comes out of their mouths they die. I know it is just movies but it's like ingrained in human beings that coughing up blood is a bad situation. My heart starts to pound because I wonder if I will die.  I am learning to cope with this but just trying to think it all the way through to the outcome. Like maybe it resolves itself in 99% of situations?  Thank you for any input!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes coughing blood is so scary.    Had three trips to the ER.       Four CT scans to check for clots in lungs.    Each time was told it’s BX.        Was told just be calm.    Easy for the doctor to say that.     This is part of our condition.     If you feel you need to go to the hospital go.   Hope you are feeling better.    
  • Posted

Forgot to add the ER did nothing was sent home.  Went to my doctor who sent me for the scans
  • Posted

I've been in the ER for hemoptysis a couple of times and in both instances, I was referred to pulmonologists for a chest x-ray, CT scan and bronchoscopy (and antibiotics--so many antibiotics). There actually wasn't much of anything done for me *in* the ER itself, other than labwork to check iron levels and  blood volume.

Do you have a pulmonologist? My current one (17 years and counting) gives me antibiotics any time I cough up significant blood--"significant" meaning, for me, more than 30ml--and hospitalizes/scopes me if it's more than 120ml. I have to keep a log between visits of when it happens and how much it is, and call in to the office if it's more than a teaspoon. (This is something I've experienced so much that it's gone from "scary" to "oh, it's Tuesday".)

When you say "maybe it resolves itself", I assume you mean "the bleeding will stop"? Because the answer to that is generally "yes, for now." If you're asking whether or not this symptom will go away on its own...probably not, I'm afraid, at least not in my experience. You may just get long gaps between happenings.

Coughing up blood is pretty much always unpleasant, so be realistic about it because it *can* get very bad/dangerous (and yes, life-threatening if it's a lot), but try *not* to think about the outcome. Know when to be concerned, but don't dwell on it, basically. 

• Posted

It does not matter how many times I get hemoptysis, it is alarming every time.  It has never resolved without antibiotics, if that is what you are asking.  Unfortunately, I live very rurally and it took years to finally get a diagnosis.  Get well!
  • Posted

Debra, perhaps it helps to think of how the blood is portrayed in movies/tv. Quite often it is a pure blood appearance as in zero mucus, zero spittle, and often it just comes out, no coughing needed. It is fiction, but they in no way attempt to portray BX. Instead they're showing lungs filling with blood after they've been pierced by bullet or knife.

It is terrifying regardless. After the first few times we get a sense of what might be more (new) "normal" w/our BX so we can distinguish if something different occurs. Yes, the real-life medical profession tells us always to see a doc immediately if we cough blood, then they treat us like imbeciles for obeying that dictum. Very annoying, but at least we aren't bleeding in the way the actors do.

• Posted

Hi Debra.  I am so sad you have to put up with such ghastly symptoms.  I must be lucky I haven't had that in all my years with Bx.  We all have different symptoms, I suppose.  Lately I have been learning how to meditate to help deal with my anxiety about shortness of  breath.  Maybe that could help you.  I hope you get support from all those with similar symptoms and wish you strength. 

• Posted

Hi

Yes last month was in hospital because coughing up blood and fever. Over the yrs have you been admitted more frequently with this disease? Do you feel lonely often?

Kristy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.