Coughing up lumps of solid matter

Posted , 3 users are following.

Can anyone put my mind at rest.

I'm attending hospital my consultant is testing me for bronchiectasis. I had meningitis in 2005 and pneumonia in 2006. Every month since, (literaly), I have has a chest infection that has had to be treated with antibiotics and I've had tonsilitis.

What concerns me is that over the last few months I have been coughing up solid matter it's green in colour ranges in size and is made up of lots of small clumps joined together - does anyone know what this is - is it normal for bronchiectasis? Most of the time my phlemge varies in colour from green to a rust colour, I am constanlt breathless if I have to walk more that 50/100 yards and the use of inhalhers doesn't really work.

Any info would be fantastic as I'm frantic

Thanks

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi riri,

I expect you are very confused and worried. With Bronchiectasis, sufferers cough up phlegm in a variety of colours and consistencies. Try not to get too stressed over this as once the doctors have their results, they will be able to treat you appropriately.

How long do you have to wait for the results and when do you see the Doctors again.

Regards

Tessa

• Posted

Thanks for your email - this has been ongoing since July 2006 when I had two episode of being so short of breath that I had to be hospitalised. I had various test as they thought it was asthma - but as the inhalers have not been working they are testing for bronchiectasis.

I have asked the consultant but he isn't very forthcoming - my GP has been very good trying to explain things and says that this is normal.

• Posted

My 11year old daughter has Bronchiectasis and is currantly under going a 2week course of IV antibiotics every 12weeks to control her condition this is working 4 her but it has taken 12mnths 2 see the benefits we have gone from at least 8 admissions per year and a very sick little girl to 4 routine admissions per year i completed my IV training on her last course so she has her IVs at home we also have oxygen in the home It took 10years 2 get this far she has had every test in the book from sweat tests 2 bronchoscopyes i just hope this keeps workin 4 her It my be useful if you ask at your clinic or hospital if you may send a sputum sample every 2weeks so infection can be detected earlier ask the doctor for details of your local asthma nurse they are very helpful and will provide you with samle pots ect hope this helps
  • Posted

Don't be frantic. I've had this for years. Mine developed from Asthma which I had since 16. It's a horrible thing but you need to get you meds sorted. Take it into your own hands and don't be put off. I take prednisilone long-term and although it's not good for me it lets me get around. Simbycort inhalers and some other tablets. I'm 62.

The lumps come when your very congested but clear when you get it under control. Get a good relationship with you Dr.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.