could a link be between heavy workouts and developing ReA?

Posted , 5 users are following.

i have been reading through all these forum postings and i cant help but notice so many people saying "this has been extra hard to adjust to since i used to be in the gym every morning." or "i originally thought id just worked out too hard."

is there a link between using gyms a lot or playing high impact sports and being more likely to develop this? i keep thinking its just the luck of the draw but i was a runner for years and have spent time in gyms regularly lifting weights, taking classes, etc since i was 13.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

As far as I know there is nothing linking ReA to overworking it in the gym, it is usually acquired after an infection of some sort. Possibly running yourself down in the gym might leave you more open to infection and the ReA but I doubt it. Mine was acquired after a particularly bad cold, infected tonsils and cough. They seem to blame STI's more though but I've never had one!

• Posted

No,  but You might not have the energy to do everything you used to do and you get pains in you’re body.  And it can worsen if you stress alot. 
  • Posted

I've noticed this too. My guess is that the people who used to lead very active lives are more likely to reach out for support on one of these forums because their lives have probably changed more drastically than someone who usually leads a somewhat sedentary life. As far as I've read, the only thing that seems to be a proven factor is the link between ReA and the HLA-B27 genetic marker. Who knows though?...you could be onto something. Maybe active people who contract one of the triggering infections are more likely to create more joint-tissue-attacking-antibodies than non-active people..? 

Something else I've noticed, and wondering if you've experienced similar symptoms, it seems as though most people list the left side of their bodies when describing their pain. Left knee, left ankle, left wrist, left elbow... I'm noticing a trend, not sure if it's significant, but just thought I'd throw it out there for anyone else to chime in. Thoughts, people?

• Posted

Hi 1989Girl....  I am a 65 year old male athlete...  During my lifetime, I have had reactive arthritis 4 times.  I had it a couple of times in college and at one point hospitalized.  Another time when I was in my 40's.  And now at 65, I was just diagnosed with HLA-B27 and am discovering the ramifications.   In each of my outbreaks, I thought it was prompted by exercise.  I have been an avid runner all of my life and have always notice when training for distance races, i.e. 1/2 marathon or longer, that my hands and sometimes ankles would swell after a long training run.  Most recently, I purchased a Zero Runner for reduced impact running.  For a period of 15 days, I ran on it for an extended period of time.  Plus, I'm in the gym 4-5 times a week for weight training.  As I was working through the 15 day period, I was experiencing swelling in my hands and ankles like before.  At the end of the 15 days, I was in a full reactive outbreak and am now fighting to get the swelling under control.  I am convinced at this point, I over did my training to the point of causing a reactive arthritis outbreak.  Because there are very few active people like me at my age, I am sure it will be hard to verify thiswith others.  But, I'm with you.  Somehow, I think my current situation is a result, at least in part, of the over exercising and stress that I imposed upon myself.  -  Kelly

• Posted

Thanks for the responses everyone! Perhaps the bacteria which causes the ReA finds a home in people's joints more easily if there's already damage or compromised cartilage? If any doctors read this, maybe they could weigh in their opinions.

Kelly1225- wow you have quite a story. That sounds really awful but also...good for you for being so fit all through your life!

Do you mind telling more about what you mean when you say you're just learning the ramifications of the HLA gene? What has happened to you regarding that?

I was straining my body for years as a runner, housekeeper, bartender and barista and maybe it's all catching up to me as well.

Kimberlychee-

My left side is the one most affected, too! I was attributing it to the fact that my left leg is 1/2 an inch longer so there's a harder impact on those joints over time. maybe you should start a forum discussion asking which side was affected for everyone.

• Posted

Hi Kimberlychee,  I have had a ReA flare up about 4 times in my life.  It's been 25 years since the last time.  I don't remember many specifics other than I thought at the time my flare up was due to my over exercising / running.  I believe my recent flare up this time is from being overactive, at least in part.  Each time, I went to the Rheumatologist but had never been told I had HLA-B27.  So, when I went to my family doctor's office and met with the NP, I was surprised, when after a blood test. she told me.  I just thought I would have been told by the Rheumatologist.  At any rate, my symptoms are the same and my remedy is the same..... Be patient and let it subside over time.  I am still exercising but to a lesser extent.  I haven't run for almost a month but have been a regular on the Stair Master.  I really appreciate you sharing your insight and knowledge.  This is ver helpful!  -  Kelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.