could a swollen big toe be anything but Gout?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I had sciatic messed up for weeks. Shooting pain down leg into arch. Started to demenish except at nite then foot with continued arch pain swells slightly on top. Then boom! My big toe swells up three x size in one day!Could it be anything other than the dreaded Gout?  No injury.  And the toe doesn’t hurt.  Any thots before I see my doc would be appreciated!

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sciatica will go right to the end of your big toe. In my case mine went numb, very strange feeling, however if it has swollen ,and very hot ,and ,very painful, it may well be Gout. Goodness knows how you are going to get to the doctors
  • Posted

Was it gout?

?As usual a question on here turns into a mass argument based on extremely limited evidence.

?"I have a swollen, non painful big toe" turns into a row over whether gout has to be painful or not.

?My tuppence worth? My full gout flare-ups have always been very painful.. that is how I know I am having an episode. . I cannot imagine gout swelling my toe to three times its size (which never happened to me) and it not being painful. But others on this forum believe themselves to be world-renowned experts (despite not having a single medical qualification) so what do I know...

• Posted

Hi James, your right mate too many experts on here. They need to get out more often.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.