Could anyone tell me if I had Heat Exhaustion or Heat Stroke?

Posted , 3 users are following.

A few months ago on June 18th I went fishing on a paddle boat with someone.  It was 100 degrees and hunid on the heat index , but I didnt know at the time.  We were there for 3-4 hours directly under the sun and it hit me all at once.  I felt really tired and thirsty and had a sense to get out asap.  We packed up and on my way back home I noticed my face was kind of pale with a few red places.  On the way back I drank a cold powerade and ran inside, splashed water on my face and went to bed but starting feeling nausea and a headache and also had chills while laying down. The next day I was still fatigued and felt foggy and still had headaches and nausea on and off for a week.   I seem normal today but am worried that I had a heat stroke and suffered brain damage. I also have diagnosed health anxiety and high blood pressure.   I never passed out or felt short on breath or had and didnt have rapid heart beat.

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi, Both heat exhaustion and heatstroke are caused by exercising or playing in a hot, humid environment where the body becomes dehydrated. However, they show different combinations of symptoms.

Heat exhaustion is usually accompanied by a fever no higher than 104 degrees Fahrenheit, excessive thirst, nausea, fainting, cool and clammy skin, weakness, muscle aches, heavy sweating, slow heartbeat and dizziness.

Heatstroke may develop following heat exhaustion if the condition is not treated. It occurs when the body’s temperature rises and the cooling system stops working. This potentially life-threatening condition is characterized by nausea, vomiting, headache, dizziness, fatigue, rapid heart rate, hot and dry skin, shortness of breath and decreased urination.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.