Could feeling dizzy be a sign that the anti seizure medication be preventing a seizure from coming o

Posted , 5 users are following.

Sometimes when I'm stressed or overworking myself I get dizzy. Could my medicine I'm taking be preventing a seizure from coming on? I take lamotrigine.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi cas,

Dizziness can be caused by many reasons. It can be a possible side effect of the seizure medication. It would be best to seek help from your neurologist.

However, I will share this. My granddaughter, age 14, who I adopted and raise, is epileptic and takes Lamictal and Gabapentin. She suffers dizziness also. After having her heart checked out we discovered that dehydration was her problem. She is now required to drink 100 ounces of water a day and if she does so, which she fights against doing, her dizziness is far less, as well as other aches and pains she was suffering.

Read thoroughly the information that accompanies your medication and ask your doctor and the pharmacist and Google it to find out the information you need to know. The more you know the better!

Take care,

Dawn

• Posted

Hi Dawm,

I do know that dizziness is a side affect to the medicine and I did a search and I didn't get the answer I was looking for. I only get dizzy when I get stressed or overworking myself.I have been on lamotrigine for 6 years now and I wasn't dizzy like this before.

• Posted

Go get fully checked out then by your doctors, general and neurologist. Oh, another thought is hyperventilating when stressed? GOSH the cause could be so many things not even related to your medication. I sure hope you find your answer soon!

Dawn

• Posted

I’ve been taking lamotrigine for a several years without feeling dizzy. My prescription drug book reports the most common mild adverse side effect of lamotrigine is dizziness and headache but should be reported to your Dr. if it is persistent. Could your stress and being overworked be causing your blood pressure to increase it? One web site dated Jan. 2015, out of 37,484 persons on lamotrigine, a small % (1,757, 4.69%) have reported vertigo. The web site reported, out of this small % group, vertigo occurs the most in people with high blood pressure, depression, osteoporosis, MS, and high cholesterol.

I would report your dizziness to your Dr. and let him/her try to trace down the cause. Other factors may be involved.

Take care, Steve

• Posted

Hi Cas,

Dizziness does not necessary mean the medication is acting like a preventive against seizures. Epileptic seizures is one of many, you also have to consider Functional Episodes (28 known variations) - but to know this you would need MRI, CT Scans and ECG. 

You should contact your doctor and ask for a referral to see a Consultant Neurologist or a Professor of Neurology.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

I've had severe dizziness with Lamotrigine when I went up a dose.  My nurse has altered my meds so I take less in morning & more at evening so my dizziness happens in the night whilst I'm asleep. I have notice a big difference but still suffer a little dizziness more in the morning but it gets better as the day goes on. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.