Could gall bladder cause this ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi has anyone had this problem please ? I have suffered for a few years with digestive problems which seem to be getting worse.  Its mainly been acid indigestion causing sharp pains. I have had an endoscope last year which showed small patch of inflammation and small hiatus hernia (no H.pylori). I do get pains across waist area and to right side below ribs so also had an ultrasound last year but it did not show any stones. 

Now this year increasing pains across waist area and a few weeks ago i had terrible pain in centre of stomach area and across waist. I felt as like i wanted to be sick, was sweating and panting with pains that felt like my stomach was contracting to push something downwards. I honestly thought i had some sort of blockage and as i had been suffering constipation (unusual for me) thought this might have been the cause. 

The pain eased after about an hour but i am still having some stomach problems so doctor is sending me for another ultrasound scan. 

Has anyone had the pain and contracting feeling ?

Can gallbladder problems cause constipation ?

Is it common to have gall bladder trouble even though no stones show on ultra sound scan ?

Thank you for reading, any advice most welcome.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Frances.  Sorry to learn you're going through this.  It could be gallbladder related.  Each person is different and can manifest different symptoms, not all of them the "classic" ones that doctors look for.

Ultrasounds don't always show small stones and sludge, a CT scan might do better.  If you are currently seeing a gp, I suggest that you get a referral to a gastroenterologist, who might be better able to diagnose your condition and treat you.

Best of luck and let me know how you do!

• Posted

Hi Lynda, i will suggest that to my doctor when i get the results of my next scan. Thank you.
    • Posted

You are so welcome!  Cmross had some great advice, too!  I think that now you're probably in better shape to speak with your doctor!

Please do let us know how you get on!

• Posted

Stones aren't the only reason for gallbladder issues. If ultrasound comes back clean, you could ask for a HIDA scan which measures how well your gallbladder is functioning. If it's not functioning well, or functioning too well, it can cause issues as well.

• Posted

Dear cmross1108,

i will agree with the last 2 posts regarding having anHIDA scan. I had ultrasound, endoscope, colonoscopy, and CT with dye performed. The HIDA was the only thing that made a true diagnosis. I also have had 6 to 7 blood work panels drawn. But the HIDA scan confirmed my suspicions. Talk with your Doctor about this type of procedure.

• Posted

Hi thanks for advice, if problems continue i will have to suggest this to my doctor. I am trying to be careful with diet so as not to aggrevate it .
    • Posted

It can hurt in the sense that it will most likely recreated your symptoms. You lay down on a table after they put an IV into your arm. They inject a dye through the IV and take pictures for about an hour to see it go through the liver and accumulate in the gallbladder. Then if you have the scan with CCK (which you should), they will injection the CCK into your IV which will cause your gallbladder to contract. Most people at this point will have their symptoms recreated (which is a BIG indicator that is IT in fact a problem with the gallbladder). They then take another hours worth of pictures and watch the dye leave the gallbladder and go into your small intestine. They will see if it refluxes back towards your stomach, and it will allow them to calculate an ejection fraction. This indicates how well your gallbladder is functioning as a percentage. A normal range is 35-75% - anything below or above that is considered abnormal and is cause for removal. Mine was 98% and I am sooooooooooo happy mine is out.
    • Posted

Thank you for explaing what would happen with the scan, it the thought of them creating the pain that worries me most. So glad you are free of pain and can eat normally again.
    • Posted

I know it will probably suck if it recreates the pain, but if it does then it should indicate removal is justified. It just might be the answer to everything! Or so we can hope...
    • Posted

Just to add on here, I also have nausea and stomach pain and had a clear ultrasound, but finally I got a HIDA scan which showed my gallbladder function at 0%, so definitely get that test done. For me I had about 10 minutes of bad nausea and stomach cramps (which is a reproduction of my normal symptoms when it gets bad) when they injected the stuff that is supposed to make your gallbladder empty, but it went away by the time the test was done. It was uncomfortable but worth it to get a diagnosis! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.