Could I be Bipolar

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have suffered with depression and anxiety and have had 4 depressive episodes in my life.  I always get very anxious with it.  Struggling right now and having trouble with day to day life.  I have never been diagnosed with bipolar and told I do not have it.  I have to say I have never had the mania symptoms - never felt the euphoric or grandiose feelings.  Never have had  the behaviors I read about but I have been so restless, can hardly sit down some days or part of the day, and feel irritable and have trouble staying asleep all night, wake up feeling very anxious then try to get back to sleep.  Maybe I’m confusing the heightened anxiety/restless feeling with how mania would feel. I worry because I’m so restless could this be bipolar?  Any feedback is appreciated!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Barbara. I am recently diagnosed with Bipolar 2 disorder. I have had five depressive episodes and had awful anxiety with them (at 18yrs old, 30, 40, 50 and this year too at 51). Before each episode I would not have euphoric/grandiose ideas but would go through a period of needing less sleep (3 hours a night) and being very busy and on the go with loads of energy and hardly able to sit down because I had "a job or project to get done"! Each time I've been prescribed antidepressants they have always made me more anxious and jittery. Last year the depressive episode followed my "busiest" spell so far. After which I was very ill. A new psychiatrist and a proper diagnosis followed. Bipolar 2 is different from Bipolar 1 as you don't go into full mania. You will probably need less sleep with increased energy and may do some of the following : start a new project which before you might have seen as unnecessary or uninteresting but feel the urge to anyway. Spend more money than usual on things. Enter into a new relationship and take risks you wouldn't normally take. The lows that come after the hypomania are quite horrible to say the least. If any of the above rings a bell with you talk to your doctor and get a referral to a psychiatrist if you don't already have one. If you are Bipolar 2 you will need a mood stabilizer (I am on olanzapine and it has been a godsend after only 3weeks I am back to my usual calm and happy self!) I hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline,

Thanks so much for responding!  I really can’t relate to never needing more than 3 hours sleep... right now I’m just waking up a lot very anxious!!  I’ve always had some low level anxiety when not on depression... then it really goes through the roof during my depression. I’m actually a very controlled person normally, never have overspent or had an urge to do any unnecessary projects.  I am, however, a person who likes things neat and like to be busy around my house getting things done, but I don’t think it’s out of the ordinary.  I just feel sooo restless all the time along with the depression!  I have read about bipolar 2 and did think maybe that could be it,  but I just don’t know if I have the behaviors to the degree I have read.  I feel like I have nervous energy doing things but I have always slept really well at night and have never felt I only need a few hours of sleep.  I really appreciate you responding.  I also am not on any meds.... first off Im scared of them and I’ve only taken 1 dose and didn’t like the way I felt.  It’s so hard dealing with this anxiety 25/7... I never feel calm!  Trying to get through it and hopefully I will get to the light at the other side soon.  Lots of prayer!! I will talk to my doctor again to give me peace of mind about it. Thanks! 

• Posted

You should take your meds. Take Lithium and whatever else you need and stay on them. It takes awhile to adjust and to accept that you may actually be Bipolar and going on and off your meds only makes it harder on you. Everybody is different and feels differently and reacts to the meds differently. But if the Doc thinks you need them then there's probably a good reason for that. He just might know what he's talking about:)

• Posted

I'm not a healthcare professional, but I'm pretty sure that restlessness is a symptom of anxiety. I Googled anxiety symptoms and each site I looked at listed restlessness as one of the symptoms.

• Posted

I Googled anxiety and depression and found that they commonly occur together. Does your doctor know you have both? Because I think the treatment is different from just depression.

Good luck

• Posted

Yes my doctor does know it’s anxiety and depression.   I’m just weary of suffering the last 6 months with this it is debilitating.  I can’t take meds so Im really struggling..... I just want calm.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.