Could I be 'coured'.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Good morning everyone.

I feel bad about posting too much positivity on this site as I know everyone is generally suffering, or in a temporary period of happiness. It's just that I wonder if anyone has spontaneously been cured of depression after coming off the contraceptive pill?

I have been on Cerazette for over 12 years, and before that on and off the pill since I was a teenager, which was when I first had an episode of depression. I have had many episodes of depression since and have currently been on Fluoxetine since 2009. Only a few months ago I was 'putting my affairs in order' and having a clear out at home thinking of 'the end'.

After a mix up at my surgery I was without my Cerazette prescription for over a week, the first time I had been without it in years. By the end of that week without the pill my mood had lifted considerably! My libido came back (wow!), I had energy and the motivation to get out and do things. Household chores became a pleasure and my windows have never looked so sparkly!

Because of the correlation between mood and coming off the pill I decided to carry on without it. It is now six weeks, and despite getting a really sore bust for a few weeks prior to my first period in years, I still felt fab EVERY DAY. I really can't believe the change in me. I have even been thinking about how to boost my pension and plan for the future now that I want to be on this earth for as long as I can.

I'm on the max of Fluoxetine so have an appt with my GP in 3 weeks to discuss coming off it slowly as I have read some horror stories.

Does anyone have a similar story?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Personally I was depressed before going on any meds at all, but I can see how a hormone pill could affect your mood. I didn't notice much difference when I was on the pill years ago....I am glad you are feeling better, it's very nice to see smile
    • Posted

Thanks Sarah, I just didn't want to sound stupid at the GPs, suggesting there has been a link between the depression and the pill. I just have a feeling that this isn't a temporary relapse.
    • Posted

Well I hope that is is permanent. I haven't heard of that med and maybe one of the side effects was depression...I know estrogen and progesterone can affect moods, so maybe it was doing this. Anyway, congratulations!
  • Posted

Sorry, seems it hasn't improved my spelling - meant cured!
  • Posted

You have just given me some food for thought, I have suffered with depression on and off following post natal depression 21 years ago. I went back on the pill as I new I couldn't cope with another baby. Eventually I was sterilized and came off the pill. I had a few blips due to stress at work but was not put on antidepressant again. 

When I was about 47 I was going to see my GP as I noticed some mood changes, and I was wondering if I was starting the menopause? Nothing was really done until Aug 2008 I would be 49 my periods were so heavy that I was anaemic need iron tablets. My GP decided to insert the  Minerva coil to ease these symptoms. (This is also used for birt control, which obvious ly I didn't need). 

in Nov 2008 I was really struggling not coping at work crying low in mood not sleeping all classic signs of depression.. I went back to GP who immediately signed me off work and  put me on Fluoxetine as I had responded well on that drug when I had post natal depression. Yes it did help me cope but I never felt I could come off it. I was having counselling through work, I ended up on clomiprimine as well as fluoxetine.

2012 I took voluntary redundancy as many of you already know thinking ah I will now be able to get off medication. Ha I did come off clomiprimine but that was all. Not long after that another dip and I ended up having CBT and still on fluoxetine.. This has now brought me up to 2014. Soon as CBT finished I deteriorated again so medication was changed in Sept 2014 to a stronger antidepressant. Although things were just a little better I was still having some suicidal thoughts, Jan this year my GP referred me to the Mental health Team, where I am now under a psychiatrist and awaitng counselling yet again.

The point of this long blog is yes I still have the Minerva coil i situ. I am sure I have now finished  going  through the menopause, as I haven't had a period for over 12 months. So the next time I see my GP or psychiatrist I will ask them and see Bout getting it removed.

It does seem strange that as soon as the coil was fitted  4 months later I was back on antidepressants.

thank you Celia you may have just helped me get a cure with your story. I was a nurse but I have never thought there could be a connection between birth control products and depression.

• Posted

Oh, I really hope removing the coil works for you too. As Sarah said above, hormones do affect us so having artificial hormones for many years surely could affect us negatively?

I too don't need contraception and am 48 now but planned on staying on the pill till after the menopause as I suffered from severe pain on the first day (cramps, fainting, sickness, diorrhea) but the pains would stop as soon as they came that first day and I would then feel fantastic thanks to the post period hormones.

Cerazette stopped my periods altogether which has been fantastic for the last 12 years or more, but I would now much rather put up with the one day of pain a month (and the two weeks of a sore bust!) if I could keep the depression away. The one period I had recently was hardly anything but it has been twelve years so I am sure the next won't be so easy smile

I haven't given up work totally but last autumn I gave up my job to give myself a year of healthy eating, living and activity. I do need to loose weight. Despite being at home with all the time in the world to do what I wanted (although a bit short on cash!) I still couldn't lift my mood, in fact it worsened, and sometimes I rarely left the house for days. To say I felt guilty was an understatement especially as I had dogs who needed walking. Very recently I've started watching what I eat and already have lost a few pounds, and the dogs and I are once again enjoying long walks whatever the weather. I've even discussed all this with my husband as I am so excited. We didn't really discuss my depression at all as I think we both found it embarassing - silly really.

I plan to go through the menopause, when it comes, 'au naturel' and give HRT a wide berth now.

I really hope that my theory is correct and that it helps you too.

• Posted

Hi, I have extremely diffiicult PMS in the sense that I get even more depressed and tense and upset than usual, and I looked into it a bit and apparently the different amounts of female hormones cause this. It's a shame that doctors don't know this but they are often pretty ignorant about women's issues especially. I am really glad you are able to make the connection between bc and mood issues. I got off the pill a few years ago, just because I read that it can cause hormonal problems, but my PMS actually seems worse without it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.