Could I be getting Mono again?

Posted , 5 users are following.

It has been about 6 months since my initial mono diagnosis. Three of those months were complete hell for me, but I am feeling about 95% better. But, the other night some friends and I went out and we shared a smoke only to find out today, that she has mono. I have read that it's very unlikely for you to get it again, but today I woke up with a headache and body aches. I'm freaking out!!! I thought the pain was over for good. Anyone have an idea on whether or not contracting it again is possible?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I've read that it's possible, but doesn't happen often. I believe some on this site have had it more than once, though. I cant imagine it would have come back that quickly, maybe you are just having a bit of a relapse.

Best advice I can give you is NEVER share anything again. I was never a germaphobe until I got mono. I know for sure that I got it from sharing drinks. Since my 7 months of recovery, I will never share again. Like....ever.

• Posted

it is 100% possible to get it again, although unlikely. I think if it comes back you wont usually feel ill, it will just be active in your saliva. if you have a weak immune system then there will be more of a chance it will make you feel ILL. it doesn't sound like monno to me. your symptoms could be many things, but if you have a number of these below symptoms call an ambulance or go to the ER. ASAP.

a high temperature (fever) or low body temperature

chills and shivering

a fast heartbeat

fast breathing

feeling dizzy or faint

a change in mental state – such as confusion or disorientation

diarrhoea

nausea and vomiting

slurred speech

severe muscle pain

severe breathlessness

less urine production than normal – for example, not urinating for a day

cold, clammy and pale or mottled skin

loss of consciousness

• Posted

So, what you're saying is that my virus could potentially re activate without me knowing?

• Posted

it could do yeah, once you've had it, it usually stays dormant in your body for ever. if you are getting it again, I highly doubt it's from sharing the cig, it would normally take longer to experience symptoms. either way, I'd suggest going to the doctors so they can do blood tests, but I'd be surprised if its reactivating.

• Posted

well they say you cant get it twice but who knows with this illness . i have ebv mono 1 year and know if i try to go out and socialize i relapse and feel AWFUL the next day .... so maybe you werent fully recovered ? it takes 4-6 weeks for symptoms to show so i doubt you got infected from your friend plus youre only contagious for a fee days i read.

• Posted

Hi Madison,

It is good to see a post from you and to hear that you have been making real progress recently. I'm sorry to hear that you have been feeling some aches and headache recently, it is only understandable you would be concerned after what you have been through with this virus and finding out about your friend having mono.

Just want to reassure you that with the EBV virus (the main virus which causes mono), the good news is that it can only infect you once in your life - once you have it and get well again, the virus remains dormant in your body is my understanding, doing no harm but under control from your immune system. Remember too Madison at six months in it is still very possible to be getting some effects and mini-relapse type episodes, so please don't panic this can be very normal at this stage and in the vast majority of cases things do settle down - God willing I believe you won't have to go through anything like you had to in the early months of this virus, it loses its sting as time goes on. Of course always wise checking in with the doctor through and hoping they can reassure you or maybe do another blood test which hopefully could put your mind at rest if you are concerned.

Definitely wise to steer clear of sharing things like cigarettes, cups, cutlery, things like that. But hang in there Madison, I am pleased to hear you have been doing better generally and still believing that this is just going to be a temporary set back in the grand scheme - wishing you Happy Easter and do let us know how you are doing over the next few weeks.

Craig

• Posted

Craig,

Thank you for the concern, but, unfortunately these symptoms are from the flu. I went to the doctor yesterday and my flu test came back positive for influenza A 😦

I do thank God that it is not mono, though!

• Posted

Hey Madison,

Oh that sounds nasty that you're dealing with flu, remember just to look after yourself and take it easy for a few weeks - it is good news as you say that it's not being caused by the mono but of course flu needs rest, time and respect too, it really can knock you for six and very much hoping you can be feeling much better soon.

Remember taking vitamins and herbs can help, a good strong multi-vitamin per day, higher doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day), B complex vitamin per day and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng, oregano and echinacea can all be great at fighting viruses. The baking soda remedy (1/2 tea spoon full of baking soda dissolved in plain water twice per day for a week (or two at the most)) can be really good for fighting flu and viruses too.

Goodness you've been through such a tough time lately Madison, things will get better and your body will get to a stage where it doesn't get these setbacks any more, hang in there and thinking about you! Do keep in touch and let us know how you are doing over the next few weeks and of course message any time. Thinking of you!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.