Could I be pregnant?

Posted ,

So I'm on the contraceptive pill, I take it every morning for 3 weeks then a week break for a period. I took the pill on Tuesday morning and had sex with my boyfriend that day, on Wednesday I had throat surgery in the early hours of the morning so I forgot to take the pill. I'm now in recovery of my surgery taking antibiotics and strong pain killers everyday, 5 days after not taking the pill I realised that I forgot to take it and realised my period hadn't started (usually does after 3 days) and I'm unbelievably worried. Could it be all the medication stopping it?

I had a pregnancy test done in the hospital on Wednesday morning and it came back negative but would it even come back positive a day after I had sex?

I'm really scared so any feedback would be appreciated, please no critising about forgetting to take the pill because I was so drugged up from surgery I didn't even know my own name. 

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Im not sure how the pill works but I am on it too and also worry sometimes that I could be pregnant as like you I forget to take the pill the day after I have had sex.  I am not sure if there is a risk if you miss taking a pill but I would imagine so.  Periods can be irratic even for the people who are always regular.  Your bodyclock may just be trying to adjust itself.
  • Posted

I am no expert so best thing is to make a appointment with your doctor if you are worried as they are there to help. smile
  • Posted

You could always try a home pregnancy test.  They are pretty accurate.  There are times when you will be more likely to become pregnant, usually around ovulation which is generally (not always) approx the middle of your cycle.  Counting from day your period starts for 14 days if you have a normal 28 day cycle.  I hope this message is only useful to you in the future and that you have already got your wishes and are not pregnant.  You can delay your period by worrying about it starting.  Stress hormones will interfere with your cycle.  Try not to worry about this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.