Could i have a Blood Clot in my lungs Despite Normal D Dimer?

Posted , 3 users are following.

So the past 2 months ive been having severe breathlessness and pleurisy like chest pain like when i move around.Ive also been coughing up blood every few days.

Ive done every test to rule out a heart problem.

I did a D Dimer a few days ago and it came out Normal so they wont do a CT scan.They just gave me some xanax but it isnt working at all.

The breathlessness is 24/7 .It wont go away.I know this isnt in my head but the doctors wont listen.

What should i do?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

?Is it possible that you could have pleurisy or pneumonia ? especially if you are from the Northern Hemisphere where it would now be winter. In all honesty I can't answer your question with a 100% certainty, but yes that seems to be the general rule of thumb in emergency departments, D dimer comes back normal, not CT scan with contrast dye ordered, unless you get a very, very good doctor that can bend the rules a bit and authorise a CT scan, see most emergency doctors have a boss, a Consultant they are known as down here, he gives the yay or neigh for CT scan if D diner comes back normal. The D dimer isn't really all that accurate as many things can elevate it , but if it's in the sky high numbers the doctor has to start thinking Pulmonary Embolism or blood clot elsewhere. If concerned go back to emergency.

Do you smoke ? there are other things that could or should  be looked at. Do you suffer reflux/indigestion , irritable bowel syndrome or any type of food or additives allergies ?

• Posted

If all the tests are coming back normal then I don’t think you should worry too much as anxiety can cause a lot of symptoms 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.