Could I have a heart condition?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am a 36 year old man who is fairly active and in fairly good shape. Lately I have been noticing that I am getting tired and short of breath, especially after mild exertion. I am always feeling my heart pounding inside my chest, even when I am at rest. My resting pulse always seems to be above 100bpm. I will get hot, all of the sudden, and start feeling sick and start sweating. I checked my blood pressure today and it was 176/106. I also get dizzy and lightheaded all the time. I am not sure if my symptoms are really something to worry about since I am so young or if I need to make an appointment with a cardiologist. Heart disease does run in my family though. My dad has AFIB and congestive heart failure and my grandparents on both sides had heart disease. I think my issues have been happening since I was a kid. I used to get hot and sick to my stomach all the time when I would go with my family to theme parks or to the beach. I couldn't play sports because I would get tired and start getting hot and sick again. I would like to find out what is going on with my health because something definitely does not feel right. I have also developed a cough that mostly comes on whenever I get short of breath. I can't even do cardio at the gym because I get short of breath and my chest starts to hurt. I have also experienced pain in the center of my chest as well as in my left arm and my left lower jaw on occasion. I have a slight fear of seeing the doctor. I haven't been since I was 14. And, I have a new symptom to add: last night I experienced pain in my chest(as I have for the past year) but after the pain there was this sharp tearing sensation in the area of my heart. I never experienced a tearing pain before.? Should I be concerned?  What could be the problem?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Probably nothing but for peace of mind you sould see your doctor who could do an ECG.

What heart rate does your BP monitor show? 

• Posted

It sounds like your symptoms are causing you anxiety and let's face it, that anxiety isn't going to disappear until you have established what is wrong. Understandable that you have some reservations about consulting a doctor, particularly if it confirms your fears. You are however a young man and (presumably) a fit and active one? If your fears are confirmed and your symptoms mean you need surgery, you're in great shape to make a full and positive recovery. My advice is make that appointment with your medic and put your mind at rest. Perhaps some of your symptoms are exercerpated by anxiety, perhaps something needs fixing? Either way you need to resolve the situation. Make that call! Best wishes.

• Posted

I would STRONGLY recommend you see a doctor ASAP. your blood pressure is extremely high and the symptoms you're describing do sound like heart symptoms from what I've read. The tearing sensation in your chest scares me. I had an aortic dissection and it was preceded by a mild but strange sensation of pain descending my chest area. You could call it a tearing sensation. With your symptoms, your family history, and symptoms the answer is YES you should see a doctor right away. I can't believe that you're having these symptoms, have extremely high blood pressure, and s family history if heart disease and you're questioning whether to see a doctor! A cousin of mine had open heart surgery for a heart valve problem when she was in her teens. I have read of people having heart attacks in their twenties.

Your fear of doctors could cost you your life, now or later. High blood pressure can cause stroke, heart attack, organ damage, aneurysms, aortic dissection, and other dangerous health problems. While we don't know if something is wrong with your heart, we do know that you have dangerously high blood pressure. Go to see a doctor, get diagnosed and treated, and live long and prosper. If you continue to avoid doctors, you will neither live long or prosper.

• Posted

Get over your fear of the doctor.

Reread this yourself and surely you will make sn appointment with the cardio guy. 176/106 call him the next business day.

• Posted

He did not say if that was his normal level. It sounded more like a one off when tense or anxious..
    • Posted

176/106 was a one time thing, so far. Before I checked my bp and saw that reading I wasn't doing anything or thinking about anything. I just started feeling weird and something told me that maybe I need to check my blood pressure. I just knew that I, suddenly, didn't feel right.

• Posted

Take a series of readings over 15 minutes and see if they are consistenly high. Is the BP monitor reliable or has it been sitting around for years ?

If you ring 111 for advice (in UK) and say chest pain they are duty bound to send a paramedic.

• Posted

You need to talk to a doctor or a health proffensional as soon as possible

If I was in your shoes I would have done something before this

As soon as you read this call 111 and speak to the health professional there, if they think it is required they will send a paramedic and he will check you and if required get you into a hospital to get checked out

This should have been done ages ago, I don't know what is wrong with you and I don't suppose anyone else does, you need to speak to a doctor or a health professional and as soon as possible, especially with you past history

Call as soon as you read this

It's your choice

• Posted

Hi, Alan.

I think you need to see a doctor and also a cardiologist. Your symptoms are consistent and have been happening for years.

Do you have regular physicals?

• Posted

To be honest if you are concerned enough to be monitoring your BP on a regular basis and analysing symptoms so closely, you know deep down that you need to resolve this one way or the other. Seek medical opinion, do it today.
  • Posted

Well I guess you have read all the replies by now

Everyone is telling you the same thing, go see a doctor, or call 111

I don't think you have done anything, just sat there worrying and that isn't doing you any good at all

Self medicating isn't going

To do you any good

I have given you the same advice as everyone else has, please yourself if you use it or take any nnotice, it's your life what you fo or don't do now

Sorry to sound a bit brutal but you should have done some thing years ago or at least after everyone has told you that you need to talk to a doctor or a health professional

Not later, but as soon as possible

I have nothing more to tell you

• Posted

By now everyones advice will have him in panic mode or despair.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.