Could I have a pulmonary embolism?

Posted , 4 users are following.

A couple months ago I went into the Er for chest pains, racing heart, shortness of breath. Test results showed an elevated d dimer but ct was clear for pe. They chalked it up to super ventricular tachycardia and said to follow up with my primary. A month later I went back to the er with similar symptoms. Same tests ran. Elevated d-dimer but ct was clear. Fast forward to a week ago. I have been having  this feeling that something is caught in my lung. Not really short of breath just a constant pain in the Right side of my chest. Could it be possible that I developed a pe in just a few weeks time? What could explain my elevated d dimer but ct be clear? I do have anxiety but I don’t think this is related. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

The trouble with a d-dimer is it could indicate PEs, but just as easily indicate injury, infection or even a bad sprain.  The d-dimer says the body is repairing something, just not what.  

With a CT, if you have clots, you can see them.  I had a 2000+ d-dimer, but it was easy to diagnose from the CT, as lungs were full of large clots.

If I was a betting man, my bet would be on the CT.

• Posted

I had 2 PEs and one DVT and the PEs showed on my CTscan. Is that the test you took?  If not, then you MUST have it.  If you did and it did not show up on this then I would say that you do not have a PT.   
    • Posted

I have had 2 CT scans in the past two months when I was having chest pains. Both CTs were clear but I had an elevated d-dimer both times. The pain in my chest feels like there is  something caught. I have  an appointment with my doc on Tuesday. Hopefully  I can

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.