could I have a tapeworm?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I might just be paranoid, but I'm worried I might have a tapeworm and would appreciate any info or advice possible. A couple weeks ago I passed something that was about 6 inches long and maybe 0.5 in wide, totally flat and translucent, sort of a yellow-ish color but that might be from the stool. When I examined it further it appeared to be the texture and consistency of paper and could be torn easily. I have also had nausea and diarrhea lately.

I talked to a doctor on an online chat service, and he told me that tapeworms are extremely rare in the United States and usually microscopic. He said that if you have a long and visible tapeworm you would have had to have picked it up in Africa. However, I have heard different things about tapeworms and thought you could get them from raw food, animals, etc. and these can grow very long.

Thank you in advance for any and all help!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

That doctor is absolutely wrong! Tapeworms are very visible and being at the fact we live and the melting pot of all countries, it’s very possible to get tapeworm. I would suggest seeing another doctor. Also, it doesn’t hurt to treat yourself just in case… As this could possibly lead to a larval tapeworm infection which is very bothersome to say the least. Good luck to you!!
  • Posted

Tapeworms are not microscopic. I would get a second opinion from a real doctor. That doctor you talked to online does not know his head from a hole in the ground. Tapeworms can grow to be over 30 ft. long.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.