could I have Alcoholic Hepatitis?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello! So I've been going to the doctor because my liver enzymes have been elevated. My doctor has been doing a lot of tests to see what is the problem, but I was just curious if it could be Alcoholic Hepatitis. When I was in college, for about a year, I partied every now and then (I would say like once or twice a month) but when I did, I would abuse the drinking.

One time (about six years ago) I ended up in the hospital. The doctors said that I had "shock liver" due to the alcohol, and they said I could drink but never in that amount again. So, since then, I continued having a glass or two once in a while.

I've been reading online about the possible causes, and I read that not every person with Alcoholic Hepatitis drinks heavily for a large period of time and also that sometimes it could be genetic. My maternal grandfather died of Cirrhosis due to alcoholism.

I had told the doctors that I drank alcohol occasionally, and they know I had shock liver (since she was the one who treated me afterwards) but I'm now thinking she could not remember the cause.

Now they are doing a lot of tests because they are leaning to Autoinmune Hepatitis.

I would like to know if this could be my case. I see my doctor in three weeks, but I am already impatient. Btw, I haven't had any alcohol for months, but my liver enzymes are still elevated the same.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

My ALT is 164 and AST is 66. Thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.