Could I have Asperger's Syndrome?

Posted , 14 users are following.

I don't like being around other people as I feel awkward, I keep going on and on about the same thing, I don't really like being touched, I hate loud noises (such as thunder or fireworks), I feel better when I'm on my own, I don't feel very empathic when people are sad, I struggle to speak to people i.e. I just stand there and try to say hello, I take jokes quite literally i.e. My granny had told me that my aunt had put my cousin's room for rent so of course I said how much but I didn't realise my aunt was only joking rolleyes, I have plenty of other symptoms of Asperger's Syndrome as well.

I had small bleeds in my brain when I was a baby and I was born 25 at weeks.

So I am not sure if that helps, do you think I have Asperger's Syndrome from what I have said?

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I dont think so as usually people who suffer with Asperger's dont show any kind of emotion or Empathy they cant.

Probably just your traits coming through, the prem birth may have had some relation to your condition, how do you respond to your Mother are you loving toward her? There are a lot of people who dont get Jokes or dont like to be touched does not mean they suffer with Asperger's Syndrome.

I think people look into things to much these days.. Shy people dont like being around others and find social situations difficult. If you are Happy why worry.

• Posted

Unfortunately a common misconception and causes further problems for the individual. Their reactions may be different to those expected. "people who suffer with Asperger's dont show any kind of emotion or Empathy they cant."
    • Posted

Depends on the severity of the AS.

My Husband of 17 years showed little Emotion or Empathy I knew there was something a miss but being the caring woman I was I just got on with it and looked after my Family.... I was the one who showed the love to my Children and him it was like having 3 children.. But in the end it was me who burned out. Exahust from many things I never expected.

• Posted

Hi Jon,

plz see see ur doc I sounds like y could be suffering from a social disorder and anxiety. A dr can help give u a propr ia gnosis then a treatment plant designed to help u cope with all the issues u mention. A doc for wpemotional issues is just as important as a doc tha treats diabetis.. They both are npmedical issues and r treated with meds. SO please don't let the social stigma of asking for a psycologist to give pause to ask for help . Receiving a evaluation & a diagnosis with medication could change UR life.

Promise urself u can do this, u know u want to get better and function in society better . GOOD LUCK biggrin

• Posted

Hello, I would also agree to go see your doctor. Only they can diagnose you properly. The things you have mentioned are traits of Aspergers but everyone has traits, you just need to have more then average to be diagnosed and your doctor is the best person to discuss this with. 

People with Aspergers can show emotion and have empathy. Some may not have much at all and some may not show the amout expected in human beings. It is a myth they do not have any. Everyone with Aspergers is different - you don't need to have every trait. 

Please go and talk to a doctor, you'll feel much better then trying to work this out on your own!

• Posted

I dont believe its a Myth I was married to someone for 17 years who showed very Little if any.. I was knocked down once by a motorcycle and was hit in the stomach ..My ex Husband stood over me saying nothing did not know what to do? when I had my chilldren he was not even holding my hand or helping me.. he stood there reading the paper  and drinking chocolate. So it is not a Myth I am afraid it is a reality .I guess it depends on thte level and severity of AS.

So Yorkshire what will they do for him.. just make him feel a lessor person and put him another little box and shelve it... Sorry thats not the way to make people feel good about themselves.. Jonathan Get a Dog or a Cat Rabbit so you can cuddle it and show love to it look after it as your own, you will get a lot back.

• Posted

Your husband is one person. Does that mean every person with Aspergers has no emotion or empathy as originally stated "they can't". That is one of your husbands traits and it is disrespectful to label all Aspies as the same. 

Yes I do think he should see a doctor if he feels like he does. If he gets a diagnosis at least he can learn to understand himself and learn more about whatever the diagnosis is. That way he can learn how to live with it, instead of feeling like he does. 

Good luck Jonathan. Sorry there is difference of opinion on here. You know or need to work out what's best for you :-)

• Posted

My sister has a dog so he's good company and I love him to bits.
    • Posted

Sorry you take it in such a way but is a fact for me for a long time.. is not being disrespectful at all to the sufferer's its a disscussion..

I am now Divorced. I only realised that he suffered  afterwards, but knew he was different but clever at many things, which is not a bad thing but hard work for me in the emotional side. I learned to live with it...but we still had a good life but it was very hard for me being the one who always did the caring being a Mother & housewife. I wanted something back for me  I needed a bit of Loving too.

• Posted

Sorry you had such a bad time. For some with Asp partner, divorce is the only answer. I do feel some sufferers can show emotion and empathy but not consistently. I wish you well

• Posted

It is absolutely a myth . It would be ignorant to assume that everyone with this diagnosis has the exact same symptoms . Yes SOME people (apparently your husband included) lack empathy , but my daughter is empathetic and loves everyone ! She is also a genius , but she has some issues with social cues and likes things to be a certain way! When she was younger she had to have everything clean and in order and now she is loosening up her grip on those things . She could read at 2 ( like an adult reads ) she knew her letters and numbers at 1 and walked at 8 months, she also has photographic memory , but she likes to dominate the conversation and tell long stories , hates loud noises etc....she has quite the imaginations with theses stories 😜 . Anyway ..my point is that everyone is different and not all ppl with this are disabled or lack empathy . We need to educate ourselves especially when giving advice to a young person seeking help !
  • Posted

Hi Jonathan.  Sounds like life can be quite hard for you, but you do have good insight into the things you find difficult.  If you were my son I would recommend that you ask a doctor to refer you to someone who can make a proper assessment of your symptoms.  If you do have AS then it's probably best to have a proper diagnosis.  You sound to have a lot of very positive qualities and at least you are able to look at yourself objectively which many people never learn to do.  All the best to you.
  • Posted

My granny has actually said to me that I have a touch of autism, as my aunt knows someone who works alongside her who has autism and she says I'm exactly like him.
  • Posted

I don't have any friends and it's hard, I just feel so awkward, I have a few friends that I talk to, although it's very rare when I see them. I met them at an RNIB residential and I have one friend who is not coming back to the FE College, How am I gonna cope?
  • Posted

Good friends are rare to find..dont collect them like coins.. you know the real ones when they are still there when you really need them. Everyone has moments like you.. Most suffer with some  sort Anxiety or depression these things happen especially as you get older, life becomes harder.. If you have a good loving family who love you they are your friends and they care about your wellbeing.
    • Posted

It's not that they are not good friends, it's just that they live far from me, so I can't meet up with them, I only meet them on residentials and stuff.

I'm gonna try and make friends when I go back to college.

• Posted

Do you keep in touch with them online Jonathan? good to keep a connection. I understand about friends being away I have Family all over the World and friends miles away. When you get to college seek one person out and chat with them..someone who likes what you do. Everyone will be nervous on the first day. My best to you xx have a nice time at college.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.