Could I have Asperger's Syndrome?

Posted , 14 users are following.

I don't like being around other people as I feel awkward, I keep going on and on about the same thing, I don't really like being touched, I hate loud noises (such as thunder or fireworks), I feel better when I'm on my own, I don't feel very empathic when people are sad, I struggle to speak to people i.e. I just stand there and try to say hello, I take jokes quite literally i.e. My granny had told me that my aunt had put my cousin's room for rent so of course I said how much but I didn't realise my aunt was only joking rolleyes, I have plenty of other symptoms of Asperger's Syndrome as well.

I had small bleeds in my brain when I was a baby and I was born 25 at weeks.

So I am not sure if that helps, do you think I have Asperger's Syndrome from what I have said?

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Jonathon. My son is Autistic, he doesn't like fireworks or sudden loud noises, but then some people whether they are Autistic or not do not like thunder or fireworks. Maybe you should look at he National Autitistic Society ( NAS) website to read more about Aspergers and talk to your doctor.

If you have Aspergers you will be ok. You will need to learn how to cope and to respond to different situations, although you can not predict what people will say.

My son takes things litetary. but people who know you may understand how you respond.

You can talk to the NAS.

Best luck

• Posted

Hey not all aspies have a lack of emotion, I think the females have a tonof emotion, more men than women have asperbergers, so they study the characteristics of the males mainly.

go to the doctor, although it depends on who you see. If you are congratulations , I find neurotypical minds boring.

most aspies have anxiety, not all but I think most do.

• Posted

Jonathan,

Have you been diagnosed with ASD by a medically competent person?  Or, have you been reading up on ASD and making your own assumptions?  If it is the latter, I would suggest you go see a medical professional, and give them the low down on who you are, instead of making the assumptions you now are.

People very well can lead themselves into the emotional quagmire a lot of people find themselves in, wrongly.

Did you kown there is such a thing called "social anxiety", with very similar symptoms?  My point is, go have a competent medical professional diagnose you, and the key word is "competent".

• Posted

I agree with what Yorkshire has posted. Whilst i myself am in the midst of being diagnosed, i hate loud noise, have irritability, absolutely hate being touched, and am much better isolated, i struggle with conversations and show little empathetic nature. I understand humour though, words are my world. Every person is different with Aspergers, my bro has it too, and whilst he had it to the extreme when he was young (ie dinner, no food was allowed to touch the other) he has grown up a kind hearted guy hecan be very empathetic. So pop along to your Dr and have a chat. Good luck. Nick.
  • Posted

Hi Jonathan, i can really relate to your experience of life. I also think I have aspergers syndrome. However, I am quite old, I am fifty years in July and all my life I Knew there was something not quite right with they way I responded to the world "at Large".  I worked two jobs so that I could have psychotherapy to support me through keeping down a job and owning my own home.  Trying to be a regular person and doing what everyone else was doing.  But I did not know that I was suffering from Aspergers. It is only now that my second son has presented with Autism and high functioning Aspergers that I can relate to my experience of life.  My son is 13 and half and is going through a difficult time. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.