Could I have bowel cancer?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 22 years old. In January It was painful to pass stools and there was blood. I was diagnosed with hemerroihds. Mid February I started getting stomach pains, turned out it was an H. pylori infection. I got treated for that and it's gone away. Home treatment for hemerroihds weren't working so I had to see a rectal surgeon, he told me it was an anal fissure and not hemerroihds. (you'll see why this is important later).

Fast forward to April, I have been getting stomach pains (in upper and lower abdomen) along with bloating and gas. I went to the doctor and they did some blood tests. Everything was good except 2 findings; CRP (c reactive protein) levels were high (25 mg/L to be exact) and I had an iron deficiency. This lead the doctors to believe that it could be Crohn's disease. I was sent to a gastroenterologist. He wanted to do a colonoscopy but said he couldn't because of that anal fissure. he said it would disturb it more and something about the anal sphincter. So he ordered a CT scan. I did a CT scan and everything turned out looking good. No inflammation, hence no Crohn's disease.

Last week, I have been feeling very fatigued and lightheaded, along with the stomach pain. I am really worried this is cancer. But I cannot make sure as I have the fissure that is stopping the doctors from doing a colonoscopy. Any tips? please I am losing my mind.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Bowel cancer is very rare in a 22 year old, especially if you do not have a family history of bowel cancer at a young age. I hope that gives you some peace of mind. But something is obviously not right and you are doing the right thing getting it checked out.

I'm not a doctor (I'm a bowel cancer survivor) so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I find it surprising that an anal fissure means a colonoscopy is not possible. Did they say they would give you a colonoscopy once the fissure has healed? Maybe you could see another gastroenterologist for a second opinion?

In the meanwhile, there are some bowel cancer stool tests you can take. Maybe you can discuss with your doctor:

https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/colorectal/basic_info/screening/tests.htm

The DNA test is the most accurate but also the most expensive. The FIT and FOBT tests check for trace amounts of blood, which may be caused by a bleeding tumor but may also be caused by things like an anal fissure, so they might not be accurate for you.

There is also a special type of CT scan called a virtual colonoscopy:

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/colon-cancer/virtual-colonoscopy-for-cancer-screening

I don't know how common they are, but maybe it's another option if a regular colonoscopy cannot be performed. However, a regular colonoscopy is the gold standard for detecting bowel cancer so I think you should push for that if possible.

I hope you get some answers soon!

• Posted

He didn't say the colonoscopy wasn't possible, he just prefers I fix the fissure first as the colonoscopy might make it even worse. He talked to the surgeon while I was at the office and they are in agreement I should get the surgery first then get the colonoscopy. My only concern is that surgery plus healing time will take a bit of time, 1 month maybe, and so if it is cancer I'm worried it would be too late by then. But yes I have now learned that colon cancer is very rare at my age, which brings me some relief. I will try to do the surgery asap so I can then start dealing with my stomach issues.

ps: congrats on kicking cancer ass.

• Posted

was Iritable bowel syndrome ever mentioned to you. Your symptoms are similar to my own. I had a colonoscopy 5 years ago, that the doctor couldnt complete, due to a long and twisty colon.

I was then sent for a cat scan which showed nothing. The consultant said he that I had iritable bowel syndrome and I would have to manage my diet and eat more fibre. I still get bloating, gas and pain, but have started to eat more fibre and that has helped. Oats of any sort helps me a great deal.

However if your really worried and that is affecting both your physical and me talk health. Go back to your doctor and repeat to him, your last paragraph and ask for an MRI scan, that misses nothing and also ask if surgery could correct your anal fissure as that causes it's own problems.

• Posted

yes IBS was briefly mentioned. would you mind sharing your experiences with things that are helpful? (certain foods, certain exercises etc.) cause I have been having some horrible pains the last few days and I'm looking for ways to relieve the pain naturally! much appreciated.

• Edited

I eat porridge every morning. I make it with water, a pinch of salt and add a little milk at the end.

Luckily I like eating oats this way. Oats have a long transient time and appear to have a soothing effect on my colon. I also avoid spicy foods as this is one of my triggers. I also avoid ' windy ' foods, like beans and legumes.

Iritable bowel syndrome affects everyone differently and I would recommend you keep a food diary. Takes notes on what foods affect your digestive system and you can then eliminate the troublesome foods from your diet. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.