Could I have CKD?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My eGFR has run between 85-90 since at least 2012.  My last appointment in September showed an eGFR of 77.  My doctor was unconcerned with this.  I had not eaten or drank anything in over 13 hours when that test was done, so perhaps I was a little dehydrated.  

In December I was concerned about my kidneys because I was urinating more frequently than normal.  I went to the dr.  They did a urinalysis and it was near perfect.  Everything was right in the middle range, and zero signs of protein.  So I let it go.

Now it's time for me to go get my thyroid checked and I am terrified they will find that I have at least Stage 2 CKD.  

How accurate is eGFR?  Could my creatinine just be high due to being Hypothyroid?  My dr. never tests anything more than my TSH.  Am I being under treated.  I really am scared to even go to the dr.  I don't want to find out that I have an incurable disease.  I am only 37 years old.  I weight about 200lbs. (6' tall).

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

There is really no need to worry so much.  Even if your GFR showed that you were in Stage 2, you still have a very long way to go before it really affects your life.  Many people with Stage 2 never get any worse.  eGFR is only an estimate and can be affected by a lot of factors. You should not be scared to go to the doctor.  It is better to know how your health is so you can do things to improve it if anything is wrong. I have spoken to many people on this forum with an extremely low GFR who are still quite well.  Good luck with your appointment!

• Posted

Hi, Firstly do not be scared going to the doctors, ii was and left it too late, my GFR is at 15 so I wouldn't worry too much about you ours at the moment. My only advice really is don't worry too much and make that appointment asap. My problem is inherited from family, polycystic kidney's, fortunately my girls are ok
  • Posted

There is a family history of Diabetes and High Blood Pressure.  I have been "borderline" on blood pressure for years, and my blood sugar has always tested well at the dr.  Although recently testing at home has shown some "pre-diabetic" numbers in the morning (fasting blood sugar), but usually my numbers are good throughout the day.  I had my gall bladder out last year, and that is when some of these numbers when slightly out of whack.  I actually started eating better, and my numbers got worse.......

My concern is my grandmother has Hep C, and she is in stage 5 CKD.  I am only 37.  I would be less concerned if I were much older.  I really am scared to make the appt.

• Posted

The sooner you find out, the quicker something can be done if anything is out of the ordinary.Hep C is not good, I've had my jabs for this because of my low GFR
    • Posted

Don, the stress you are putting yourself through in worrying about making an appointment is doing you much more harm than good.  From reading your first post, you sound very healthy and I doubt very much that you have anything to worry about, in fact look upon your appointment as being an important safeguard to keep you in good health.
  • Posted

Well the reality is I have no choice, but to make the appt.  I run out of Thyroid meds in less than 30 days, so I have to go get it checked.  

The gallbladder thing is what made me nervous.  They found a "mild" fatty liver, which by September I had corrected (liver numbers were the best I have seen them).  But I became borderline obsessive about my weight.  So when I went to the dr in September I didn't eat or drink anything after dinner at 6:30pm, so that it wouldn't "add to my weight." when the doctor weighed me.  I think I may have been a little dehydrated, which is what may have slightly lowered by eGFR.  It has been pretty consistent in the 85-90 range for several years until that test when it went down to 77.  My post meal blood sugar numbers are always very good, but sometimes my morning (fasting) numbers are a on the low end of "pre-diabetes"  I will admit on those mornings I was very anxious though, and that could contribute to this.  

Health anxiety is a dangerous thing.  And I know it causes more harm than good. Just looking for reasurrance.

• Posted

Don, if you went such a long time without drinking anything at all, then that would throw up problems with blood tests.  I remember once being told to go for repeat tests, but ensuring that I drunk plenty of water beforehand, as the previous tests had shown dehydration.  So drink plenty of water prior to your next test.

It sounds as though you are doing well and helping yourself from the way you corrected your liver function tests.

As far as diabetes is concerned, 'I'm sure you know to reduce your intake of refined carbs as much as possible.

• Posted

Don:

First off, it's great that you are so on top of your health (not everybody is).  As regards your GFR:  as others have pointed out, GFR is an estimate, nothing more.  Furthermore, GFR numbers can fluctuate from day to day, so if you were to continue to have your creatinine tested and then compare results it would not be uncommon - nor even unexpected - to see the numbers bounce up and down within a range.  It is only a guideline and can be affected by a whole host of issues.  You mentioned dehydration as one possibility - that's true.  However, did you know that blood test results may vary based on which lab processes your specimen?  Now you do!  That's why I always try and go to the same lab when I'm getting my blood tested in an attempt to minimize that variation.

I'm as paranoid as anybody about my health so I understand your concerns, but my advice today is:  take a breath, and unburden your mind from worrying about something until and unless you have something to worry about.  It's good to stay on top of things as you are doing, and it sounds like you are doing fine.

I hope that helps.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Well I called the dr, thinking I could set up an appt. next week, and they had an opening today at 2pm.  So I am going in then.  I am making sure to be hydrated (but not overboard).  Or course as with any blood tests I won't know for a few days.
    • Posted

Get yourself put on Patient View.  Then as soon as any tests are out, you will get them online.  Your Dr can organise it for you.

Good Luck!

• Posted

Yeah. I have that.  I get an e-mail when the results are available.
  • Posted

Well so far so good.  My blood pressure was 110/78 and my blood sugar was 70 (this was 3 hours after having salad and greek yougurt for lunch).  I was certainly happy to see my Blood pressure was good.  I did gain 5 lbs since September, but that is not a huge deal.  I tend to lose weight over the summer and early fall, just because I am outside more.  Now to wait for the blood test result.
    • Posted

Great news so far!  Hope the blood test is OK, too.
  • Posted

Yesterday evening on my patient view page it came up that the results have been sent to my dr., but I will not be able to see them until 12:36pm on Monday.  

I guess they don't want patients trying to interpret their own results.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.