Could I have Costochondritis?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi everyone, I’m looking for advice as to whether this could be Costochondritis. My doctor is clueless. In 2018, I ended up having to call the ambulance after I was having very strange sensations in my left shoulder blade and underneath my left rib cage. I used to carry heavy books in a rucksack or in a handbag to University, and so I put it down to pulling a muscle. However, this sensation lasted for weeks.

After an X-Ray, nothing was found to be abnormal and the pain subsided eventually after a lot of rest. It was the worst when sitting up on a sofa, but also didn’t feel any better when lying down. Sometimes the sensation would move to underneath the right rib. As well as carrying heavy items from University, I did a lot of exercise and kettle bell workouts, which I have now learnt can bring on this condition. The only way I can describe the sensation is feeling like a bubble or balloon has been placed underneath my lower rib cage. Sometimes the pain would feel like a short stab towards the middle of the rib cage, but I don’t really have a lot of pain in the sternum. Fast forward 2 years, and I only ever get slight twinges after I have done a lifting workout or when I am sort of propped up in my bed in a certain position for too long. It is always in my left shoulder blade and feels really tight or like an infection type feeling in the lungs/ribs. Could this be Costochondritis? I no longer have the pain when pressure is applied to the area, so I'm thinking it might not be Costo. Sorry for the long post – I’m trying to get as much info down as possible.

Oh, and one last thing is that sometimes it felt like a ‘bubbling’ sensation was happening in the rib muscles. Very weird.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

It's so hard to say. My costo makes my ribs, sternum, chest, and arms sore. They are often sore to the touch, and the pain definitely worsens when I move around or lift...well, just about anything. Not sure about the bubble sensation. Does heat or cold, along with rest, help? It is definitely mostly on my left side, but I get it on the right, too.

Have you tried a new doctor? I have had costo since I was young, but it wasn't until I saw someone at an urgent care when I was in my 40s that it was properly diagnosed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.