Could I have diabetes?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My family has history of type 1 I have a constant thirst and sometimes blurred vision and itchiness in certain "areas " thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

The symptoms you describe could be attributed to diabetes. You should ask your doctor for a fasting glucose test. That should provide you with the definitive answer you seek.
  • Posted

Fasting blood glucose test is a good idea. If you can't get your GP within a reasonable time contact your regular chemist or any local ones which provide a free blood glucose test. They should be able to test you first thing in the morning before you eat breakfast because this is the longest you've fasted (i.e overnight). If they spot any unusual results they can get in touch with your GP there and then, who can make a full assessment.

Tarun (hospital pharmacist)

• Posted

If there is a family history of type 1 then you should definitely get tested. I am type 2 and my father had it and then I had it. I diagnosed my twin sister, purely on the fact that for two years she had been treated for thrush and nothing worked and as thrush can be one of the signs of diabetes I tested her blood and her sugar levels were around 9 so she saw her doctor who diagnosed diabetes. Within two weeks, after cutting out certain foods, the thrush that she had had for so long went away and has never returned. My only symptoms were a raging thirst for about a week but I had been noticing blurred vision for quite a while but never attributed it to diabetes. I went from needing glasses for distance to needing them for reading, all because my sugar levels were brought under control. Get a fasting blood test done as soon as you can and then if you have diabetes you can start to get control of your blood sugars.
  • Posted

My grandfather do have diabetes but my father ,mom and grandmother dont have it. Do i have any chance of getting caught by it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.