Could I have fibromyalgia ?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello,

I have been dealing with a ton of health concerns now for over half a year...

6 months ago I started having these episodes of intense lightheadedness and chest pain. After a full battery of tests my doctor concluded I have a panic disorder... I’m fine with that and believe that’s half the story. 

Since then and being of antidepressants those episodes are mostly gone. However in the last 4 months I’ve been getting a ton of pain.

I get really bad headaches, servre jaw pain, nausea, neck pain in the front and sides of my neck, rib pain in the front and sides, pain in my mid back pain in my arms and in one of my hips.. I’ve also been getting bad fatigue throughout the day and also numbness and tingling in my hands and feet.   

At first I thought it could be a side effect of my antidepressant but the longer it’s gone on I’m getting more pain all over my body. 

My mom told me yesterday that my dad had fibromyalgia really bad and it started around my age.. 

Does this seem possible? Can a panic disorder trigger Fibro? I’m a 25 year old male which I know decreases my odds but I really need answers and my doctor just thinks it’s the anxiety.. 

Please help!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Fibromyalgia is not fussy about who to attack male or female it doesn’t care. Fibromyalgia is triggered by trauma or stress and it sounds like you have had a bad few months so it is probably is Fibro. Ask your gp to refer you to a rheumatologist there is no one way to diagnose fibromyalgia however there are certain points that are pressure points and your rheumatologist will be able to check you over for these. Unfortunately it’s more a matter of ruling out other conditions rather than just giving a confirmation diagnosis. Good luck and I hope you’re feeling better soon 😊

• Posted

Thanks, my doctor referred me to a neurologist first to make sure I don’t have MS.. can a neurologist still diagnose fibromyalgia if it’s not MS?
    • Posted

Hi,

How are you? Dud you get any diagnosis..my pain s also started after few months later afrer my first panic attack

• Posted

Hi Tim. It does sound like the symptoms of fibromyalgia. Try getting an appointment with a Rheumatologist to confirm. Anxiety can also cause many disturbing symptoms as well. Worry and stress tend to tense up the muscles and also cause pain. Good that your meds are working. Do you have ways to manage your stress? I read a book years ago about ‘How to Control Your Worry’. It was such an insight into our thinking and how to challenge our fears. Cognitive therapy is wonderful as well. You will find your answers Tim. Never despair. We all have our challenges but there are beneficial methods out there to help us cope. Maggie
  • Posted

I agree with the other replies sent so far. Stress is a big trigger for fibro and if your Dad had it then it's at least likely that its something to be considered by your doctor.

Also, although you can have bad flares there are things that can help. I have had fibro for about 10 - 15 years, only formally diagnosed 5 years ago though. I have been on all sorts of prescribed medications for pain and depression (it's not really surprising that fibro sufferers get depressed, who wouldn't from being in pain all the time!). I had been going backwards and forwards to my doctor, asking for more pain meds when I was going through a bad patch, he said 'no' and although I sort of despaired at the time I am now really, really glad. Because I think I would have just taken the stronger drugs, my life would have become even more 'small' and enclosed within the walls of my house. But because he didn't I became more open to trying other options. And boy, am I ever glad I did!! I have been taking 800mg of turmeric powder (a traditional anti inflammatory) daily, one magnesium supplement (suggested at the health store as it helps with energy release and therefore fatigue) and several drops of (legal) CBD oil 2 or 3 times a day. The results after 8 weeks are nothing short of astounding for me, it may not work for everyone, I am the best I've ever been for a decade. Let me know if you want more details about strength of CBD oil etc.

• Posted

Hi!

I literally could have written this myself. I have been having this pain in varying degrees since October of 2017. It's been a very challenging time for sure. I am currently seeing a rheumatologist, but they haven't quite figured out what is going on. Fibromyalgia is something I have been wondering about as many of my tests have come back totally fine. There has only been one test that can back for me positive, but it was unrelated to this type of pain (according to them). They have run so many tests on me that they are kind of stumped on what is actually happening. I, too, feel like I have developed a high level of anxiety. It has gotten way worse over time. I would be extremely interested in seeing what your doctors work up for you - I know this is not helpful information, but just know that there's someone else experiencing essentially the same exact things out there! Best of luck!

• Posted

Stress caused my fibromyalgia about 6years ago, so it is possible. Keep nagging your gp , because if it isn't fibromyalgia, it is clearly something!. Good luck🍀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.