Could I have Lumbar Spinal Stenosis?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Afternoon everyone. I'm looking for some advice please. I've been suffering with pains in my hips, causing problems with walking and standing. On a bad day the stairs are difficult to climb. This has been going on for about a year now. In the last 6 months or so I have developed a sciatic like pain, only happening when standing up and walking to far. The last few days it's been getting worse and I now have pins and needles in my legs and feet. Sometimes both legs but mostly my left. The sciatic pain is only ever in the left side of my buttock. When I try to stand, I am simply unable to put any weight onto my left leg for a while. I'm 31 years old and a mother to 4 plus work. The doctors keep brushing me off because of my age but I'm sure what I am experiencing isn't right. Can anyone help please? And thank you smile

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just read some of your replies, the ones from uk are spot on, don't take no for an answer, I've had decompression surgery 8 weeks ago , the pain is worse now, than it ever was, had 2 no mri scan two weeks ago, awaiting results, I cannot sit down, drive, or work, walking is painful , and I have to stop, every 200 yds or so, only relief is laying on my back, I'm 58, and not ready to throw the towel in yet, 

try to stretch often, try not to get hooked on some of the painkillers.

keep shouting, don't be fobbed off, as I have been at times. 

Good luck.

• Posted

It seems I'm still being fobbed off! The doctors secretary just called to say he's prescribed me codeine. I don't believe I need it though. I need to be seen sad
    • Posted

I called them back and actually go to talk to my own doctor. I said I'd had enough of not being listened too and he said it sounds like a nerve problem with my back and is referring me! At last!!
    • Posted

Hey Kelly, what does "fobbed off" mean? Is it like what we calling getting "blown off" in the states - which means they ignore you or give some excuse?
    • Posted

You're right there. I was hurt 13 years ago, and pretty much stayed after them until I had the dreaded 3 major backsurgeries/fusions over a 2 day period surgery done. Then I was on suboxone which is not addictive but insurance won't cover it, now I'm on oxycodone. I can't sleep at night without pain in my legs waking me up, so I was on low dose of oxycontin, but new doctor took it away, so now I'm awake all night.
    • Posted

I have a confession.  It's hard to drag myself into the tub every day .It's the getting out of the tub and all the hassle of getting dressed again that's hard!

• Posted

Yea fobbed off means basically 'take the meds and bugger off' haha. I seem to be ignored a lot. I found getting out of the bath and getting dressed difficult when I had bad hips when I was pregnant
  • Posted

Hi I had a fusion after 18 months of going docs who said I had.... depression and need a holiday had two .......still arms tingling ........,,....numbness and pain I had to beg for a mri scan I had...........,, herniated disc........ the fatigue as gone now a year on still got.... pins..and needles though less than it was I don't walk well I go .....for my year check up in march to see if fusion as worked ,,I'm in..uk hope you get sorted. .
    • Posted

Bad day today. I have pain in my right foot left thigh low back and now mid back. They rotate being the worst area. Can't seem to get a break. Pain meds,not helping much anymore. I started crying tonight and I normally don't do that. I just wanted to complain to somebody.

Linda

• Posted

Hi Kelly, Iv just joined this forum and I have to say your symptoms were the same as mine. It started in February 2015 with left inner knee pain. The pain then became like sciatica all down my left buttock and leg. Then it traveled to my left foot. It became impossible to walk any distance and the only way I could alleviate the pain was to sit down. In all this time I'd been visiting my GP and reporting my symptoms. It was diagnosed as sciatica. I went on holiday in June and I might as well as been in a wheelchair. The pain was horrendous. By now my toes were going numb too. Back home I went to my GP and passionately told him my experience. I said on the scale of 1 to 10 my pain was 9. That's when i was put on the list for appointment with the muskelo skeleton dept. (M.S dept)He then put me on the list for an MRI that happened in October. outcome was I had SPINAL STENOSES. With the only option was surgery. There was a 4 to 6 month waiting list. I was told by the physio, that if I lost control of my bladder or bowels to go straight to A&E

well on Sun the 6th Dec it happened. I had a bowl movement I wasn't aware of. My bottom was numb and I had no sensation down below. That I was told was a red flag warning and I needed my operation imediately. Outcome was I jumped the queue, I was admitted on the 7th, and my operation took place on 9th December. I hope my story helps you Kelly. If this resonates with you. You need to go to your Gp and tell him you want a referral to the   M S dept. The operation took my pain in walking away, but I've been left with a very fragile back. I'm hoping in time it will get stronger, but for now I have to mind what I do. 

• Posted

Hi Kelly,

iv sent you a long message, but here is some more information for you.

The difference between Sciatica and spinal stenoses is

for S you can't sit down and for SS you GOT TO sit down to alieviatevthe symptoms and pain. Tell your GP that and if he's got any sense will recognise you do not have sciatica.

• Posted

Thanks everyone. My symptoms have got worse along with a barrel full of new ones so I'm being sent for MRI scan
    • Posted

Ah that's good news Kelly. I know I'm just a rookie to this forum, but I'd like to know how you get on. 

Kind regards 

Bonnie Blue 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.