Could I have lupus?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone. I am a 52 y.o female. My health is questionable lately. This is a long list of symptoms so bear with me.

Migraines, history of iritis, hearing loss and vertigo, mental clouding to the point where I can no longer work.Manic depressive illness.

Sun sensitivity (occasional rash with exposure), eczema. Nose ulcers, angular chelitis (deep cracks in the corners of my lips).

Disabling muscle and joint pain (was diagnosed with fibromyalgia)

2 episodes of pulmonary embolism, 2004 & 2015. Several episodes of acute pleurisy. Now it just hurts when I breathe.

Irritable bowel and frequent abdominal pain

Positive for antiphospholipid antibodies/lupus anticoagulant. ANA has been negative in the past but it's been a while.

Sorry for the laundry list. I will be seeing a rheumy soon but it could take a while. What do you all think?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi this sounds like typical lupus to me. I have the same / similar issues and have a diagnosis of lupus, Sjogrens Syndrome, fibromyalgia and pulmonary disease. I would advise you to get a good consultant. Check who is the nearest well known rheumatologist. I have found it is essential to have an expert on your side.

Rest rest rest is all I can recommend - and lots of sun exposure to top up the lack of vitamin D you will experience. Safe sun exposure in the shade.

I hope this helps.

• Posted

i can relate to some of the symptoms, some hearing loss, tinnitus and vertigo, mental fogginess, poor memory, confusion at times. Cant tolerate sitting in warm hot sun, need shade, feel ill if above 10min, also prone to skin rashes, always on body, touch eczma, psoraisis, allergic rashes, never on face untill last few weeks now or forhead and cheeks, bit red swollen with it. General aches and pain, fatigue, sleepy, specific pain in shoulder wrist, long standing pelvic pain, intersticial cysitus ibs

hbp, cramps and spasm hands and feet, gstritus, some obscure ones, we all have long lists, due to condiitions like fibro, cfs m e lupus being systemic multi symptoms.  l did pin it down to fibro myalgia and waiting to see rheumy l have started with face rash, but not specific butterfly rash lupus associated with. Read someone whod recently diagnosed, and with other related conditions, carpal, some other things. l think Valerie is right, in essential to have consultant on side, as gps a bit vague often. 

• Posted

Thank you Valerie and Lynn. I certainly fulfill the criteria. My main concern with DR's is that some of them are so black and white....if your ANA is negative then u don't have it they say. I haven't had mine measured in quite some time though. We'll see.
    • Posted

Good consultants don't just take the ANA result. Challenge this if it happens.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.