Could I have mild asthma or allergies?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Since last year, I've had this feeling like my lungs get kind of tight but then when I take a deep breath, it relieves it and when I breathe out I get this feeling in my chest like I need to cough afterwards, but I feel like I can't really cough properly cause my lungs feel sort of tight. No wheezing, I can breathe fine and it's not too bothersome, I'm just worried it could be a mild form of asthma. When I try coughing, my breathing sounds kind of loud when I breathe in then out, if that makes any sense. I know it sounds kind of crazy but does this sound like it could be mild asthma or maybe allergies? I've already been to the doctor for something else that's going on & I can't keep going to the doctor unless I'm convinced something is wrong. Im not trying to get a diagnosis though, I was just wondering if it sounds like it could be asthma or maybe allergies or not. Thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Doesn't sound like asthma to me, but doesn't mean it is not.

If you want help tell us more: How old, ever smoked?, are you generally in good shape, do you have nasal or skin allergies, if so to what, and anything else you can think of. Have you ever been told by a doctor you have asthma in the past?

• Posted

Hello, sorry for replying late, I just now saw your reply. I am 17 and I used to smoke cigarettes almost every day for about 7 or 8 months, but I have quit about 7 months ago. I am a bit overweight and don't exercise that often. I've never been tested for any allergies, so I'm not sure if I do. I've never been to the doctor about this problem. Thanks.

• Posted

If you have allergies it is usually pretty obvious, your nose gets blocked or you have hayfever or skin rashes or wheeze. So probably you do not. It's unclear when you went to the doctor if you mentioned your breathing problems and what the response was.  It doesn't sound like obvious allergic asthma to me but it's too early to tell.  Need more information.  Good job quitting smoking, don't start again.  Trust us with asthma any kind of lung impairment is not something you want to willingly inflict on yourself.

• Posted

Sounds more like a panic attack, but I agree with the other poster. Need more information.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.