Could I have mono?

Posted , 4 users are following.

3 weeks ago yesterday I began to feel tired, fever up to 103, chills, typical flu like symptoms. Fever persisted through weekend. Went to ER and was admitted overnight. Mono test was negative on Tuesday am, 4 days after symptom onset. Released from hospital. Low grade fever for a few more days and throat becomes severely infected and painful over the next week. So bad I could not even swallow water. I've lost 36 lbs in 3 weeks. I now have a dry cough, zero energy, just want to lay in bed. When I do try to do anything u sweat severely and get shaky and weak. Sometimes get lightheaded. I also broke out into what appeared to be chickenpox but the test was negative. This spots are healing up nicely but here I am 3 weeks in and barely able to even go to lunch with my wife. Exhausted, depressed, and anxious. No medical diagnosis yet. I'm going to call doc again tomorrow and ask for another mono test. Any input?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cathchme,

My daughter tested negative for mono all along, they gave her the Epstein Barr test and dhe is positive, You can get a rash if they give you certain antibiotics with mono.

I would ask for Epstein Barr test as well as a monospot.

Best of luck, it sure makes you feel rotten.

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. I'll be sure to ask.

• Posted

Hi, yes that's what happened to me, mono was negative after 6 weeks of feeling awful they finally tested for Epstein Barr and it was positive. I was told all that meant was I'd had mono in the past which was untrue. I just soldiered on and when I got another fever, glands inflamed, couldn't get out of bed I went and got more antibiotics. Pain in the area and I hate to tell you but a full year later I finally feel like my old self

• Posted

Hi Catch Me,

So sorry to hear you've been having such a horrible time the last few weeks. Yes would be wise to get another EBV and monospot test as Mono there says, just really thinking about you and hoping and believing in a fully recovery for you. Viruses can take some time to get over, and they can really feel you leaving wiped out - so just take it easy and have your blood tests monitored and keep persisting with the doctor (I know it's draining and horrible to have to do).

Taking good strong multi-vitamin and B complex / co-enzyme Q10 as well as immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng can also help boost your system at this time.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.