Could I have PMR?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm 48 years old and i have neck pain, now it started with pain in my right lower arm and has gradually moved up to my shoulder. I also have weakness in my arm, can barely lift up my drink to my mouth but so far my left arm is ok with PMR does it effect both sides? I also have stiffness in both legs. What do you think?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Obviously you would need to see a doctor and be tested but my experience of PMR is that it is always symmetrical. Others may disagree but, for me, it is the way I know it is a flare and not just a result of doing too much!

Good luck with a diagnosis.

• Posted

it doesn't have to do with doing too much, and it hasn't improved with rest. i also noticed pain beginning in the left shoulder when i raise my arm. ??

• Posted

Your description of symptoms is very general and could apply to many things, not just PMR which is generally bilateral but obviously may start on one side before progressing to be both sides. Is it weakness you are experiencing or is stiffness limiting your movement? Patients often say they feel weak but there is no weakness to be measured in tests. However, a lot of people say they were first told they had a frozen shoulder - usually one sided - but the final diagnosis was PMR.

You should see your doctor for a full physical examination.

• Posted

Sfazal, my PMR started in one leg then moved one to the other. The leg it started in has always been worst. The PMR has been a stiffness and when I move against the stiffness I have the pain. The pain can get terrible, but you have to stay active!!

• Posted

thanks for your comments, I mentioned the pain to my PCP and he just blew it off. I was there for something else and they usually wont treat more than one complaint per visit. If it continues to bother me I will definitely ask him again.

• Posted

Hi sfazal

You may have spondylosis in your neck which in turn causes pain in your shoulder(s) and top of arms. Your shoulders and arms are restricted and stiff. You will have to ask your doctor to send you for a neck x-ray....

• Posted

I agree with Mary, neck pain is the clue and may be leading to the other symptoms. I have been in recovery from definitely diagnosed PMR for several years, but I still have many symptoms from pre-existing osteoarthritis. As my physiotherapist points out certain areas in which I experience pain, e.g. the upper arm or lower back, actually are connected by nerves to the very vertebrae which are most affected by the OA. Specially targeted exercise really help. I do not recommend most medical solutions as they tend in the long run to be more damaging. I had to take prednisone for PMR,no choice there, but have learned that , like nsaids, it is bad for cartilage renewal. And cortisone shots, which doctors seem fond of giving, only last for a while and in the long run can cause more damage to the joints.

I think physio and the right exercises which strengthen supporting muscles are the best approach for OA. I also have taken glucosamine for years and believe it has been helpful. It's not a painkiller but a maximum dose of it may help maintain cartilage. And beyond that, whatever diet is good to maintain good bone density is likely to help all aspects of one's health, including the various arthritic conditions.

• Posted

I think doctors are now becoming more aware of steroid injections and are limiting them. I think they will start to limit them more soon. In the good old days I remember Borg having them in his stomach for a pulled muscle before the finals at Wimbledon which he won!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.