Could I have some advice please??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I used to have really heavy periods that lasted 7+ days and they were regular. Since January my periods have been really irregular being late all the time and I don't bleed and I usually only have a period for 3 days. It's not blood its brown and orange discharge and stringy stuff and lots of black blood clots. Is this normal? My doctor said she thinks it could be to do with my cysts. I'm having an Ultrasound Scan on Monday 22nd June(Finally!). Does it mean I'm not ovulating when I don't bleed? And my period cramps are so much more painful now but I don't bleed I don't get it?

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

• Posted

Hi Beth.

It's sounds like there's something going on.

You don't say how old you are, but it does sound like hormones or a blockage of some kind. I had an ovarian cyst when I was 19 I'm now 52!

But anyway the ultra sound will let you know what it will show.

I had irregular periods and very painful ones! I remember it well.

But even after the operation, and the loss of my right ovary, I still had painful periods.

But thank god I went in later to have three children aswell.

All grown up now.

But bless you I hope it's not too bad what's going on anyway. With today's medicine, you will be as right as rain very soon.

Try not to worry too much. I know when there's period trouble it's a worry.

But I'm sure you will be all fine when your sorted. 😊👍🌺Liz x

• Posted

I am 18. I have cysts on both ovaries, they're covered. But the cysts on my left ovary rupture and leak fluid and bleed into me. I've had emergency surgery as my hospital thought I had appendicitus. But they found cysts on both ovaries and thats when they drained fluid from around my womb and pelvis. All I know is that my cysts have blood vessels in them. But hopefully I will know what type of cysts I have after my Ultrasound. I know there's something going on because of how different my periods are now because its not normal for me usually😔 xxx
    • Posted

Aww Beth poor you.

Not nice at your age I know only too well myself.

But they will get you sorted out. Your periods are being affected because of the cysts on your ovaries this will play havoc with them!

I had a diagnosis of appendicitis myself, before they found an ovarian cyst in me.

I had heavy painful periods, I remember that.

It does sound like your ovaries are definitely causing your period problem.

You can still release an egg even if you haven't bled. I believe. Two separate things.as long as you still have your ovaries. Only the ultra sound and the gyneacologist can explain what they will go to put your body right again. God bless don't worry anyway. Your in the best hands.

There is a medication you can take to stop painful periods, but I don't know if you are able to, because of your problems going on at the moment.

It's called femiderm get it from pharmacists.

But if you explain what is going on a little to them about your cysts they might not think its a good idea. But you can ask. Just take paracetamol.

And you can try lay on your back and do like your riding a bike, circulate your legs as if you are riding a bike.

Try a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel put that on your tummy, if it's not too in comfortable for you.

But I know exactly what you are going through.

But don't worry they will sort you out okay. All the best ..😊liz..

• Posted

I had bloodtests done and my hormone level is normal so I don't know what's going on? I think my cysts are causing my period problems but they are so painful its unreal. I can't understand why I'm not losing blood? Just blood clots? I'm so confused😔 Thank you so much for replying back to me and for giving me advice it has made me feel better xxx
  • Posted

Hi Beth, I do really hope things get sorted for you thistime!! Its not fair they have left you so long. My hospitalwould have done a laparascopy for you by now and you would have been under a gynae since all this started. I seem to remember you saying that they said it wasnt pcos? It certainly does sound like it to me but I am no doctor. 

I really hope this gets sorted soon for you! Take care xxx

• Posted

They said they wouldn't diagnose me with pcos because there not my gp but my doctor thinks it could be pcos and another type of cyst. Hopefully I will get some answers after next monday as that's when my scan is. How are you? How did everything go?xxx
    • Posted

Everything ok here. I am starting on an injection to stop everything working soon, means I will start menopause but if this al stops the pain then they will need to do a hysterectomy. I am not too bad right now though, just have a few cuts from my op but they are healing well xxx
    • Posted

Oh good I'm glad your ok. I have an Ultrasound on Monday 22nd June so 6 days. Hopefully I will get some answers why I have this much pain every single day. I'm sure I woke up during my surgery xx
    • Posted

Thats strange, I was wondering whether I woke up too, as when I eventually came around I was completely out of it for hours and the nurses saaid I had been given a LOT of anaesthetic. What makes you think you woke up? I still cannot believe you have been just left in all thispain!!! It really is bad and I would not have put up with it at all, I'd have been banging on doors and making a right nuisance of myself. Take care xxx
    • Posted

I went down for my op just after 12. I woke up at 1:30pm I remember pulling myself up on a bed, I was crying because I was in agony. The room was blurry so I can't remember where I was but I remember the clock saying it was 1:30. I heard doctors asking me why I was crying and I said because I'm in agony I felt like I was being cut. I don't know if they was trying to lay me back on the bed and push me back down. And within 2-3 seconds I blacked out again and woke up around 3pm. I wasn't allowed painkillers until 11pm that night because I was told I was given too many painkillers during my op.
    • Posted

yeah its dsifficult to know, maybe you did, cos if you were supposed to be waking you'd have heard them calling your name.  It is a realy weird experience though

i was p*ssed offin hospital cos they never offered me a drink at all. I was woken at 1.30 and at 5.00 I asked if I could have a cuppa, was told someone would be round soon. Then another half hour later was offered some food which I declined as I just had no appetite but again said I would love a cuppa though, again told someone would be round soon! It would have taken this hca no more than a minute and I had to wait for someone else to come round with trolley, was spitting feathers by the time I got one so made up my mind I was not staying the night and got dresed!! Didnt care about the pain, just wanted to get out if there so I xould have a drink when I wanted - its not a lot to ask for. Whe I have had previous ops aihave been given teaand toast pretty soon after, but waiting 6 hours is just bad! Also the hca removed my canula, hurt like crazy cos she just ripped it out! It should be someone trained properly to do that I am sure! Hate hospitals. But at least mine is being sorted, yours is so much worse though! Xxx

• Posted

oh dear my reply is waiting to be moderated. I said I was not happy with having to wait so long for a cuppa, but didnt use those words! Lol. Maybe you did wake up, its not unheard of and normally you would be waking up to someone calling your name. I couldnt believe the amount of make up on the nurses in theatre!! One was literally caked in make up! They wuld never have allowed me or any other patient to wear make up, so nursing staf actually bending over you during your op?! Surely thats a big no no!? Anyway you look after yourself and make sure they get this all sorted out xxx
    • Posted

Yea surely there not allowed to wear that! And I hope they help me this time xxx
    • Posted

They didnt take my canular out until just before I went home and the nurse ripped it out. And you shouldnt of been waiting that long for a drink thats ridiculous! The night staff came on when I was in hospital and one of the nurses said 'were not your parents put your own rubbish in the bin' i said ive just had surgery I can't move. Only thing is it was a tiny wrapper I wouldn't leave things cluttered I have more respect than that. Just really irritated me xxx
    • Posted

Omg!! They really do go on some power trip these nurses! Some are nice, others are downright nasty and make your stay just unbearable. I had nice ones the previous time I was in. Just dread having to go in again. Wish I could afford private - they actually smile at you in those places you know! Lol but then by principle I dont actually agree wth private, although we may have no choice soon anyway, may only be private! So you have six days to wait for a scan but I wonder how long for results and to be seen?! I hope its not long Beth, I really do! Xxx
    • Posted

I know! I hope I get nice ones if i'm ever in again which they said I would be because my cysts can pop at anytime! I hope I don't have to wait a long time for the results I can't cope with this pain for much longer I want to go into hospital but I know they won't do anything xxxx
    • Posted

Well I know I have said it before, but it is just madness that they have left you in pain! Are you working, or in college? My daughter left school yesterday and doesnt know what she wants to do, but how is this affecting the rest of your life? Xxx
    • Posted

I work but I can't at the moment as I can't bend or anything😔 xxxx
    • Posted

Everyday I'm in agony its been a lot worse since my surgery and it's affecting my everyday life xx
    • Posted

It will do! Its horrible and I really feel for you! You are way too young to be going through all this, you poor thing. Wish I could do something to help! You must feel quite desperate now!! What does your mum say? My daughter  has pcos but doesnt seem to be suffering too much at the moment, except with tiredness. She has to take thyroid pills too as she has overactive thyroid, but has actually put a lot of weight on. She has done so well though and lost two stone since christmas by basically giving up bread. I knew it would work for her as it has the same effect on me. She is now in size 14 instead of 18 and my clothes are too big on her! I am a 16 now, used to be a ten at her age and only went up to 12 ater having them both but have gradually put a lot on and now struggle with 16! She used to take all my clothes lol but cant now! Haha at least thats something! I do worry about how this pcos will effect her if she wants children though, it has to be a factor so I have talked to her about it. Really though is it worth bringing more babies into this world the way things are?! All I do is worry about mine and they are 21 and 18 now. My daughter Shannon has no idea what she will do now she has just left. My son, though, is at uni so has a much better idea of what he wants to do, has never worked properly yet though! Gosh I am rambling! Lol I am sure your mum worries just the same xxx
    • Posted

No my mum worries just as much as you do. I worry about what affect my cysts will have on my fertility. Aw I bet she's happy that she can get into different clothes now, I've bet you've got more clothes now too hehe! I haven't put on weight, but some days I can get really bloated and tender. I feel really desperate actually because everyday I'm in pain it's not normal I can't live my life xxx
    • Posted

Bloatedness is one of the symptoms of cysts unfortunately. It isnt fair at all that this has been going on so long for you! Have you been prescribed pain relief? I take cocodamol and tramadol and it does help quite a bit, but of course that is no substitute for getting to the root cause! Yeah, she doesnt pinch my dresses now! Lol still robs my boots if she can though! Little madam! Lol. How long have you been off work for? I hope they are understanding xxx
    • Posted

A few weeks, they are understanding. If I go to work I get more pain. I was just given paracetemols before but now they have finally given me cocodamol but it hasn't took any pain off recently. I was given them by the one doctor who finally listened to me and gave me them for pain relief until I find out on my Ultrasound what type of cysts ive got then they said they can try to help me xxx
    • Posted

Oh well thats good that they are understanding at least. Maybe you need the dose increasing? Well i had better go walk the dog! Let me know how things go and good luck! Xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.