Could I possibly have diabetes?

Posted , 3 users are following.

For about a week now I've been feeling very tired, I'm always thirsty, and really hungry all the time. I've noticed that in the night I'll wake up around 3 times needing to pee and needing to go get a glass of water because of how thirsty I feel. Usually I sleep through the whole night with no issues. 

A week ago I also noticed some bad bruising on my leg which still hasn't even began to fade. And I've had a sore throat with no other symptoms, for over a week with some minor white patches in my mouth. I also have a very good diet, I'm a healthy weight and I exercise regularly.

I told my friend how I was feeling and she was just diagnosed as diabetic and said what I'm describing sounds very similar. She lost a lot of weight though whereas mine is the same as usual.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like strep throat for the sore throats and white spots.

The hunger and thirst could be hypothyroid disease. Hypothyroid can result in symptoms of water imbalance in the body. The symptoms of having to pee at night could be related to bloating and fluid pooling in the extremities as a symptom of low thyroid. When you are in bed, the positioning helps get fluid back to the core of your body so it can be eliminated.

Also, symptoms of thyroid disease and diabetes are very similar. However, generally hypothyroid patients are hungry all the time, while people withndiabetes experience decreased appetite.

• Posted

I would get yourself checked out Jane.

I was diagnosed with diabetes last year. I only went to get checked out because I was talking to a friend about not feeling too well lately and she made me promise to get checked out. Please make me that same promise.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xxx

• Posted

Sarah, what symptoms were you experiencing? I've read a lot about diabetes, as my mother is diabetic. I've read so much, but it would be nice to hear more of your experience of not feeling well.

• Posted

OK This is confession time.

I had been out to the pub with some friends. I had 3 glasses of red wine (not that much).

I felt quite drunk and decided to go to bed.

Instead of which I lay down on the bed feeling grotty.

I went to the toilet and had really bad diarrhoea (though I don't remember doing this!)

I think I must have fallen and bumped my head. But I don't remember doing that either! The doctor at A and E said I had had a fall and bumped my head.

To cut the long story short I was then lying on the bed having had really bed diarrhoea all over everywhere and everything!!!

Obviously at that point I called for help and an ambulance appeared.

They cleaned me up!! and said I had to go to hospital. Fortunately it was a couple of really nice girls. By this time it was 1

On the way to hospital one of the girls took my blood sugar and said "Are you diabetic?" I said "No I don't think so." She took t again a little while later and said "Get yourself checked out."

To be honest I put it down to the drink but a few days later I was talking to my friend and she made me promise to get checked out. So I did and lo and behold I have type 2 diabetes. I was so grateful to my friend Margaret for making me promise to get checked out, it could have been so much worse otherwise. Hope this answers your question. No symptoms before this really.

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.