Could I use half an applicator of estriol twice a week instead of a whole one once a week.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I want to use half the applicator of estriol cream once a week instead of a whole one because the first time I use toilet after using the cream half of it falls out anyway.  It is helping the constant feeling of burning and feeling as though I have a UTI  but apprehensive about using it.  

Has anyone gained weight after using it and is it safe to use 

0 likes, 75 replies

75 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. I use Ovestin (which is estriol I think) I use it 3 times a week instead of once - same amount. The GP said it was fine to do it that way. Been using it for 5 years with no ill effect and no weight gain. I’m 58 now. 
    • Posted

That's good am going to do the same. I will use half  twice a week. 

Think it's this hot weather I'm in Scotland and never had heat like it and for so long 

• Posted

Yes it’s very warm! I’m in London and yearning for some fresh air. Good luck with it
  • Edited

olive8,

Hi, I've been using compounded estriol cream for almost 3 years with no problem. I use a cream on the outside daily and a different cream that goes inside as I need to keep things nice down there. Estriol is the safest of the estrogen creams and actually offers some beneficial health benefits for us women now that our bodies are not making enough estrogen to keep things like our tissues healthy. I apply my internal cream at night for best results that way most is getting absorbed where you want it and not coming out as you say when going to the bathroom. 

• Edited

What is the other cream you use. Someone said they used the other half of the estriol cream to the other bits am going to try something. 

You know it does help to hear other people's stories and what helps. 

Thank you 

• Posted

Hi Olive,

I am post menopausal and I use a compounded cream that contains a 50/50 mix, of estrodial and estriol, called bi-est. This I use on the outside on the labia everyday to keep my estrogen right. The other is a estriol cream used inside as a maintenance cream to keep those inside tissues healthy. Once our estrogen plummets, which it does to all of us as we near menopause and then eventually no periods brings a bigger drop to our estrogen production. This is why if you get on something that works you will have to maintain it for the rest of your life or things will go back to hurting and being uncomfortable again. Our aging bodies are just not going to produce these hormones in the amounts we need to stay healthy anymore. I have been post menopausal for over three years and started BHRT within 6 months of my periods ending. I am 58 now and feel very good in all areas. BTW, I go to a holistic dr. He has to prescribe these hormones for me. I am also on testosterone which is a big plus for women too. Good Luck!

• Posted

I'm 63 and I've been menopausal since I was 36 never had a problem until a couple of years ago where I now suffer with VI UTIs and BV I'm now on Estriol 0.01% every 3 to 4 days I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this works for me I'm so fed up with the discomfort and the antibiotics you have given me hope that this will work

• Posted

Hi jan,

The amount of estriol you are on is very little. It is also the safest of our three estrogens actually having some health benefits for us. I have been on 2mg of estrodial and 2mg of estriol with no issue for almost three years. You could probably have your dosage increased to see if it doesn't help you get past your symptoms more rapidly. If you do get this under control be advised you have to maintain this regimen or your symptoms will come right back. Our bodies after menopause just are not going to make enough if any of these hormones to keep us healthy is this area. Diluted apple cider vinegar might help your BV once you get your tender tissues feeling better from the estriol. Good Luck.

• Posted

Just reading back some replies did the apple cider vinegar really work and did you rub it in all areas I still need other remedies at times although the estriol cream is really good. I was wondering about increasing the amount for a couple of weeks too I am using half twice a week but think I am at a standstill and my GP did say I could use twice a week was just too scared to do it twice weekly. 

What a disaster it is 

• Posted

This is an update I've been on estriol for about five months now and for the last month I have been clear of all the symptoms of VA Utis and all the other things this brings with it use it twice a week I never thought that I would be rid of it but I can honestly say I feel so so much better I might also add that I also take probiotics as well I had my first (and last now) smear which was virtually pain free (i always had a week of unpleasant discomfort and pain) with no pain or discomfort afterwards I could highly recommend estriol  and after a lot of research it is the most safest HRT it does not get into your blood system  I really hope this helps others and fingers crossed this will carry on for me  

• Posted

Hi Olive , I am getting now still outer fold irritated, not sure if from the washing, can I ask what you are washing with , the Replens is helping inside but now feeling dryness outer and don't want to keep applying steroid creams either, this is frustrating , glad you're feeling better like I said time will tell with this way or I'll need to do your way

• Posted

Well I have started using just a very little baby bath and a clean microfibre cloth washed at 60degrees with lots of water maybe three times daily and it hasn't been worse. The GP was in to my son and I told him I was a bit uncertain about using estriol cream and he again told me there were lots of benefits in using estriol cream and he didn't expect me to have any problems at all. I will    give half twice a week a try then see if I can have half only every week although GP thinks I will need to carry on once a week for the rest of my life. My daughter tells me to take it she is on HRT for goodness knows what. I know one thing I am feeling better and can't stop using something because I never want to go through what I went through ever again. At least five trips to the bathroom every night and the burning and pain was awful. I was like that, the burning feeling round about but couldn't ever say it was deep inside that's what made me think it was some sort of UTI without the usual headache and feeling you get with UTI.  Before I spoke to GP, once or twice I used clotramazole and I thought it helped my GP said not to. It's really annoying and to think it might need something to keep it manageable for the rest of our lives isn't exactly what we want to hear 

let me know if you find something that really helps everything 

it is so hot I have never experienced heat like this in Scotland before and read today could be like this until August. Had to take our son away fron sitting in wheelchair at front door today the sun wasn't near him but he was getting distressed with the heat. 

• Posted

So glad to have met you Olive, we are far from each other, I'm in New Jersey, been really hot here also. I'm red now outer area, but why it came back who knows even the yeast steroid creams and Replens forever isn't ideal

• Posted

No think you definitely need something stronger. Try the estriol I used half an applicator last night and propose to use the other half on Saturday night and will keep it going for a while to see what happens.  I would say though we need to give it at least a couple of months to have any definite improvement. Whatever is in the estriol cream has definitely helped me. My only concern is will it put weight onto me because something has and it's round my middle. Someone else told me they had used the estriol cream like that for three years with no problem and no weight gain. 

Do you have estriol cream in the house? and baby bath -.if you read the label it says properly pH balanced whether that helps us or not I don't know - my daughter says body shop soap is recommended too although who knows. I wouldn't try any soap. 

Hope you are feeling better though but if you are struggling with all  this like I was give it a try. 

• Posted

I meant to say mine is not completely away it is still there in the background some days worse than others but never as bad as I was originally. I would say it is working but slowly. I read someone saying it could take six months. Am sure I must be coming on for three months. 

Sitting down for for half an hour - Wimbledon on do you see Wimbledon in New Jersey. 

• Posted

Gee now I have been awarded a badge - seem to have been on different sites so many times they must think I am a hypochondriac - there was an e-mail from *Patient Forum* 
    • Posted

Hello are you beginning to feel better. Any information to help is gratefully accepted because still mine is not completely better but better than it was. 

Take care 

• Posted

The outer area still bothering me but the Replens is still working, might switch the summer s Eve to the dye paraban free one to see if better, but who knows, it's all try this and that Olive, so strange was wondering also I take hydrochloride water pill and blood pressure pills for many years already to sulfa antibiotics and was even thinking my meds can be adding this but Drs say no

• Posted

Allergy to sulfa I mean among other things
    • Posted

You don't use any estriol cream at the moment is that right. 

I would be happier not using it either but couldn't stand that getting worse again. Is your urine ever cloudy? My doctor tried to say if he tested everyone in this street half of term would have cloudy urine. I don't think that's right the only time I had cloudy urine was when I had aUTI. I also said sometimes there is a smell of sulphur and he said probably something I had eaten but not sure about that either.   

What is the cream you use and do you think it is helping a lot 

take care and let me know (when you have time) 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.