Could it be anything other than ALS

Posted , 51 users are following.

Wondering if anyone has has similar issues and what it turned out to be?

started for me in March when I noticed to get muscle twitching all over my body arms, legs, feet, lips, buttocks etc. Some twitches were quite strong and would repeat 3 or 4 times rapidly then stop others were seen but not felt.

within a week one of my legs felt odd not sure how to describe it. Then the leg dealt weak but I still use it.

i went to the doctor who scheduled an EMG and NCS. The EMG was done on 2 muscles in the calf of my good leg for some reason and I was told all teats were normal. They suggested BFS. I was happy with that. 

Nothing changed, in fact I now have thigh Atrophy  - outer quad muscle. Doc confirmed the atrophy and is sending me back to the neuro. At this time I get a rush of muscle twitching in my upper abdomen after I cough or sneeze which is keeping my ALS fears on my mind. I can still walk, my leg gets tired fast and aches most of the time and the muscle has a burning feeling in it occasionally sometimes it even feels like it is vibrating. There also seems to be a tremor of my skin on the thigh, the wohle area between the knee and hip. Looks almost like the skin it shaking slightly from side to side. Not my leg shaking just the skin or muscle. I am also exhausted all the time and when I wake up I am mort tired then when I went to sleep. 

My doc admits he is confused and says he has no idea what it could be - this obviously leaves me quite frustrated and scared. I asked him about ALS and he said he doubts it but can offer no other possibilities as all my blood work and tests are fine. 

Hopefuls someone out there may be able to shed some light on this. 

Thank you. 

2 likes, 191 replies

191 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Sorry you're going through this. 

I'm in the same boat, I got sick aboutg 3 months ago and spent months going to my regular Dr and all she could come up with was Lyme however I only came back positive with one Titer. At that time I had joint pain and twitching.

Since then the twitching has gotten worlse, I have muscle atrophy throughout my body, my callves just wiggle.

My breathing has gotten pretty bad, and I've had some issues with swallowing.

I saw a neurologist last week for an EMG, mind you she was already against the possibility of als and her reason was simply that it was rare. 

My left side was the start of all this, she only tested my right, and didn't check for bulbar issues though she knew I was having swalllowing issues. 

Her reason for just right side, was she saw no issues on the right so she didn;t feel the need to test left. When I asked about the bulbar area, I was told to go to my regular Dr and get another referral. I was floored.

Needless to say I have contacted another Dr, unfortunately that means more weeks to sit around and wait. Per the other office an EMG should take min an hr, she spent 15 minutes on me before she ruled out ALS after checking just one side, and this was after she said I had alot of the symptoms.

Unfortunately as the patients we have to be on our game .

Good luck, 

Kim

• Posted

I think I may have Lymes Kim..I am going to my PC to see if he can test me for that..I had loss of hearing last night in my ears and tinnitus in my ears...Drove me crazy..My last three toes feel numb when I stand and walk..my muscles and joints ache not bad but sore and I have severe muscle twitching ll over my body head,legs back belly buttock, arms back..you name it.. I'm ready for answers seems like the longer this process takes I start other symptoms or thebones Ibhave gets worse..
    • Posted

I was definitely hoping for Lyme given the alternatives. The western blot only came up with line 41 positive in the IGG which usually means chronic and past infected. I was on doxy for a while, now that I look back I felt awful on it, but still feel not myself a month or 2 off of it. I have another neuro appt next week with a new office and a visit with internal medicine tomorrow to cover all bases. I'd take Lyme treatment for a few years over als any day.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

MRI my PCP said looked fine...Tats all I have had done...I refused tocgocnack tocthe neurologist as she treated me the same way yours treated you... Looked at me in the office and said you dont have any noticeable signs of MS. She has no interested in doing a EMG. So opted to go back to my PCP to check for Lymes..Your symptoms are also compared to having Fibromyagia. It's a process of elimination ..Eliminate all the bad things then work their way down..Hope we both can get some answers soon.. My muscles spasm and they twitch Uncontrollably my joints hurt and I have tingling in hands, face and left toes.. Hoping it's not ALS / MS ..Have youbtslke to the doctor about Fibromyagia
    • Posted

That was the diagnoses 2 yrs ago, but the symptoms have changed and are worse. Plus I have the bulbar region issues my neuro ignored. Guess she didn't want to ruin her holidays, however she left me back in limbo again. It's sad when they don't listen. I had an ER visit not to long ago, sent me home with a cold and thats just before I was diagnosed with the swallowing defect. I'm going to follow further with Lyme after the new neuro appt so I'm not so overwhelmed with appts.
    • Posted

Today I got my Lymes test back of course it looks normal to me...By me reading my lab work.Dr. hasn't called yet to discuss.. I guess we will be back at square one again after the holidays .Good luck with the doctors on your end..I sure do have the same problem here.As hard as it may be try and have a good holiday... Happy Holiday to yousmile
  • Posted

After several months of chronic muscle pain throughout my whole body, the pain stopped. Tomorrow will be day 3.

Wednesday I am back at the Cleveland Clinic for advised consent for exome genetic testing.

Anyone else have a symptom suddenly stop for a period of time?

• Posted

My twitching was awful in the beginning, it was enough to drive a person nutty. I can't say it's stopped for days, but it's slowed down and I've gone a good 24 hrs without it. The joint aches and pains same deal, it was constant for weeks, now it's here and there.
  • Posted

Hi all,

I have had similar problems for the past few months:

-muscle shaking and ratcheting 

-twitches and tingles

-cramps

-shortness of breath 

-etc. 

and they are all over my body. The worst is shortness of breath (my breathing muscles are affected now too) which sounds a lot like ALS doesn't it? I saw a top ALS neurologist and he ruled it out without a slightest doubt. He said he diagnoses 7 ALS patients a week so he's trustworthy. The thing is with ALS the nerves die way sooner than when the muscles show signs. In fact if one of your muscles is having "clinical weakness", the EMG picks up nerve problems in other muscles as well. That's why they test other muscles rather than the ones you may be having problems with. And trust me for the past 2 months I was also convinced it was ALS. It's very rare that the EMG lies and ALS is rare to begin with so a negative EMG is very reassuring.

Anyway, so they told me I have BFS as well. I'm curious though a) anyone here have shaky muscles? Like when you lift you leg or arm or bend over or move your head do you feel a ratcheting step-like pattern? b) anyone here started having these symptom a few weeks AFTER an MRI with contrast by any chance? (I do realize most people had MRIs after these symptoms started showing up)

• Posted

The Dr didn't do MRI, she did emg only only on the right which wasn't the problematic side and said all was normal though I've now lost 22 lbs in 3 months and look bony as anything. Since emg 2 weeks ago I now twitch in the right leg which I wasn't before. I have a new neuro appt in the morning with a different Dr. Personally I think she was full of it and really didn't test thoroughly.
    • Posted

ALS is one of those diseases along with MS where the diagnosis is made after eliminating everything else.

I have same symptoms which have more or less been in "remission" for the past 11 days after lots of muscle pain for the previous 3 months.

I could do lift my arms straight over my head and within 20 seconds or so they would start to shake. Movements were not fluid, sounding similar to your "ratcheting".

I have an appointment in March with who will be my 8th+ neurologist since my last one retired. The primary Dr I am working with is a genetic pathologist.

So far we're looking at a fatty acid oxidation or similar disorder. There is plenty of muscle but it just isn't converting energy stores into energy when needed.

I have had elevated adolase for awhile as well as glutarylcarnitine acid (sp??) and small buildup of glycogen in muscle fibers.

I also have zero of one acid that should be present. Dr says the result is clinically insignificant. However, this acid is the second most common acid found in the brain and is primarily responsible for neuron health.

A couple weeks ago just started genetic (Xome) testing so we'll see where that ends up.

Every symptom I have is also associated with ALS & MS

• Posted

No that you mention that, it s very possible that my twitching came from the use of contrast in CT Scan or MRI 

I was investigating why I had a never ending headache, and only after the first CT Scan the twitches came.

I thought maybe they could be the MGUS protein finding (pre-myeloma) but maybe it may be related to the use of contrast instead...

Symptoms are worst when I seat or try to relax....

I still have not found a way to relieve those sad

• Posted

my twitching started after contrast as well, have yours resolved yet:?  it's been 8 months for me

• Posted

look up gadolinium toxicity... could be linked to your mri... I have the shaky muscle movements and all your other symptoms + GERD and a bunch of other stuff.. one emg says nae to als so its not als. right now I feel like theres a hole in my back.. like my back muscles are numb but yet I can feel the touch. I can still lift things but it is harder. all my joints crack and snap. this has been happening for over a year now.. my back is getting worse. I didn't have anything out of the ordinary happen before this started. just a spider bite on my forearm that was never tested... it came back and went away and then stuff started happening. it really started with pain in the back of my head. I'm guessing the muscles back there.. and then the same pain/feeling started in my upper back muscles.. idk this all seems crazy. I am working but it gets rough. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.