Could it be Crohn's?

Posted , 8 users are following.

My 19 year old daughter was rushed into hospital on the 13th Dec with severe lower right abdominal pains. She underwent various tests and had an appendectomy although she didn't have appedicitis. She was discharged on Dec 31st and has never had a pain-free day since. She has lost her job and is confined to our front room on the sofa because she can hardly walk - if we go out she needs a wheelchair. I wondered if she has Crohn's - she seems to have a few of the symptoms when I mentioned it to a doctor he just said 'the blood tests came back ok'. Has anyone been diagnosed with this when their bloods were ok?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Another question - my daughter has been very ill with this pain for close to six months. Can a flare up last for that long? We're just so desperate to find out what this pain is we're grasping at straws.
  • Posted

Flare ups can go on for months, or weeks or be intermittent and also not happen for years, most important is to get some drugs into you as whilst this flare up is going on then you are surely inflamed and things could get worse, touch wood, this one of mine is calming after two weeks, don't be obstinate like I was and refuse treatment, I thought I could manage mine by diet but it's not caused by food, only certain foods may trigger it, hope it settles soon
    • Posted

Thing is Joyalb, it's not been diagnosed as Crohn's - she's just displaying a lot of the symptoms. The consultant has bandied the word 'IBS' around but I really don't think it's that: she'd NEVER shown any signs of IBS before collapsing at work in December and the stabbing pain in her lower left abdomen is severe and constant. She's losing weight, is constantly fatigued and her appetite is almost nil. We're just baffled.
    • Posted

*Correction - lower RIGHT abdomen
  • Posted

It really sounds like Crohns to me, that's the location of the terminal ileum, I would ask for another opinion, but I am no doctor so really don't know what to say x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.