Could it be diverticulitis? HELP PLEASE

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there

I was hoping that someone may be able to tell me if they have had similar symptoms as me. For the past almost 2 years, i have had digestive issues. Constipation, bloating, cramping on occasion, very gassy, gurgling stomach at times, fatigue, nausea sometimes and over the past 9 months or so i have had this pulling sensation in my lower left abdomen, it feels like my stomach is tearing or straining. I have no idea what it could be, maybe a hernia, maybe scar tissue, maybe diverticulitis. My doctor has done numerous tests over the past year and a half. Multiple blood tests, abdominal ultrasound, pelvic ultrasound, stool sample, chest x ray, literally everything has come back clear. This pulling sensation isnt constant, last week i could feel it alot, this week not so much, its almost like i can feel it more when ive not emptied my bowels. My doctor wants me to go and get a CT scan done so they can check it out, im trying not to freak out but its worrying seems i have no idea what it can be. Has anyone else ever had these symptoms with diverticulitis? Im not in pain, just uncomfortable, its more of a discomfort when im having a flare up. Which makes me think, maybe its not diverticulitis, because wouldnt that be painful? Anyway, any info would be greatly appreciated 😃

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello. with the pulling sensation does it hurt more when you move? So breathing out makes it hurt, bending over or sometimes walking seems to make it worse? I describe mine like a pulling and sharp pain. Feels like a solid bit of poo thats poking the colon. i keep having this on and off for two months now. one week I will feel fine and the next it is back. It is worse when I need a poo and also when i worry the pain gets evens worse.

• Posted

Hi Jason26998

Yes its an odd feeling, i wouldnt say a pain but more a discomfort. I feel it when i sneeze, cough, move, try and sit up. And its exactly the same as what you said, it seems to be when i havent been for a bowel movement or am a little constipated. Once ive been more regular it goes. Its been on and off for around 9 months now. I had a CT scan last week, the doctor wants to check for Diverticula disease or anything else that could be happening, i havent had my results yet though. The waiting game is horrendous and i just keep thinking the worst.

• Posted

Has your doctor recomended a colonoscopy? im worrying its the big C. But its just dismissed as IBS. I am wondering if i have this condition that you think you have also. I do wonder if maybe because we are so aware of it we are making it worse. I do hope it is just an irritated bowel and nothing more but this nagging feeling is really worrying me, like yourself. Do you take anything for it?

• Posted

I haven't had a colonoscopy as my doctor didn't think it was worth it as every other test they have done has come back clear. He originally said IBS but because i pushed for a CT scan after this pulling sensation started he agreed to sending me for one to check it out. I have read that some people with diverticula can feel this pulling feeling so that's why i put this post on, to get some feed back from people who have already been diagnosed. A lot of what i feel sounds like diverticula so i guess we will wait and see what my CT scan comes back with. What tests have you had so far?

Over the past almost 2 years i have had multiple blood tests including the CRP blood tests which checks your inflammation levels, a pelvic ultrasound, abdominal ultrasound, chest x ray, ECG, Mammogram and breast ultrasound, stool sample, thyroid function blood test, I had a holtor monitor fitted for 24 hours and now a pelvic and abdominal CT scan. So far everything has come back clear which is why the doctor diagnosed IBS. Now we wait to see what the last lot of tests bring back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.