COULD IT BE KIDNEY DISEASE

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I'm a 52yr old female & i'm terrified i may have something wrong with my kidneys. Only this morning i went to the toilet as usual & noticed that there was no colour in my urine. It was literally the color of water. Through the course of the day i observed the colour everytime i urinated & only twice did it have abit of normal yellow to it. I live in australia & i rang a nurse & she did an assessment & said that it didn't sound like kidney disease although admitting that she couldn't give me a definitive answer (obviously). I don't have any other symptoms such as swelling in ankles or under the eyes, itchy skin & so on but i'm concerned about the lack of colour as iv'e never had this before. I am making an appointment with my local doctor if things don't improve. Any advice of anyone having anything similar & what was the outcome.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, your symptoms don't sound consistent with kidney disease; in fact, it would be more likely that your urine would be darker if you had a kidney issue (given that certain kidney diseases cause the kidney to leak trace amounts of blood). Is it possible you drank a lot of fluids lately? If so, that would be the most obvious reason why your urine was virtually colourless.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. The nurse i spoke to asked me the same question about fluid intake & the short answer is no i haven't drank more than usual. I went to the toilet this morning (as usual) lol! & the amber colour was there so i can't explain what caused that. I will keep an eye on it & if the 'water' colour comes back i'll just get it checked out for sure. I may have overreacted abit cos iv'e never had 'water' colour urine before.

• Posted

There are many possible reasons for colorless urine, and while it is not a typical symptom of kidney issues, a quick search says it can be. I would suggest you get a simple urine test done with your doctor just to be safe. Kidney Disease may show no symptoms until real damage is occurring. It is better to be safe than sorry in my opinion. I have CKD and I had vague symptoms for many years, that could have been attributed to other things.

• Posted

Hi melissa & thanks for your reply but everything has gone back to normal. I think i just overreacted at the time because there was literally no colour in my urine & it was more worrying because typically when you go to the toilet in the morning it's more 'yellowy' due to being in the bladder for a longer period of time. Just out of curiosity though, what were your symptoms before you found out that you had CKD? I'm well aware of the general symptoms but what were yours?

• Posted

Hi, Michelle! CKD is insidious, with symptoms that are vague and often go unnoticed until the kidneys fail. I had vague symptoms since childhood, and have been told that my kidney has probably been slowly failing my whole life. If you catch it fast enough, in stage 1 or 2, kidney function can be slowed greatly. I am stage 3 now. My earliest symptom that I remember was cloudy, foamy, bubbly urine, sometimes referred to as turbidity on a urinalysis. I had other symptoms as a teen, that I now know probably pointed to issues with my kidneys. It is my goal to help others to be advocates for their own health.

• Posted

Hi melissa. I'm so sorry that you have this awful disease. We always take our bodies for granted until something happens. I know a woman personally who has CKD & on the whole she's doing ok but has her 'off days' which i'm sure you can relate to. I know that you can lose alot of kidney function before noticing there is a problem because the kidneys will try to do what they can to compensate for the loss. They're are a very clever organ really but when i saw my doctor about it straight away he told me it was nothing to worry about. He said it happens sometimes. It was just frightening to see no colour which i wasn't used to. Take care of yourself & may you have many more healthy years to come.

• Posted

Hi, again. Just try to stay on top of it. I don't think of it as awful. At first I did, it was pretty scary I was so sick. But, now I see it as a life saver. It forced me to change my eating, exercise or lack there of, and control stress. I feel better now than I have in 20 years. I do have not so great days, but I could say that before I was diagnosed. Blessings, and take care of yourself.

• Posted

Hi again. Thanks. I will, but my kidneys are fine. Thank god. It's good that you have adopted a good attitude about it. That's important. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.