Could it be ME?

Posted , 6 users are following.

For as long as I can remember I've been tired constantly, I have been taking iron tablets for that since November. (no longer anaemic but iron is still low) My problem is that since I had an op 4 weeks ago I have been completely drained 24/7, not just tired.. every part of my body aches, I have daily headaches, I literally have no energy and I'm really struggling every single day! I have made an appointment to see my doctor but someone recently suggested ME, could that possibly be the problem? I just can't cope with feeling like this all the time!!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

There is usually a root cause for me it’s just a case of finding what it is. Go is a good place to start but be firm and ask for blood tests for other things. Good luck. 
  • Posted

ME has some very specific symptoms. Fatigue and pain could be anything really. Have a read on the internet about criteria for ME diagnosis and go from there. Fatigue and pain alone doesn't sound like ME really.

• Posted

Totally agree Bob. ME is far more complex than just fatigue and pain.
  • Posted

ME is much more complex than just pain and fatigue. If your iron ( Ferritin) is still low, it needs addressing. That is the true iron deficiency and will make you feel drained and tired and can give you headaches. There will be a reason for your iron being low so push for it to be investigated further. Surgery can fatigue the body too. Some ops more than others. Iron tablets can cause pain if taken for a while. Especially joint pain .

Very best thing is to discuss everything thing you are feeling with your GP and seek further investigation. Many conditions and diseases have very similar even the same symptoms and need to be ruled out before ME/CFS is decided on . Hope you can find some answers and in time feel better . Good luck and and care .

• Posted

Had more blood tests done today after seeing my doctor so just gotta wait and see now, checking iron and thyroid again among other things but the one that is puzzling me is DHBA? I've googled it and can't find the answer, I wished I'd asked when I had it done. I just hope I get some answers, I can't keep going on like this. Today has been the worst so far, I couldn't remember what I wanted to ask the doctor and forgot what she had said to me just minutes before, forgot my pin number (which I never do), nearly left my bag somewhere then nearly left my phone somewhere else.. it's constant today like my brain has turned to mush!!

• Posted

I would suggest taking something like Spatone iron supplements, I find they keep my iron levels up more than pills (I think they are easier for the body to absorb). Also, have you tried using a B12 oral spray along side the iron? It could be something like pernicious anemia or something.
  • Posted

It just sounds like your body is drained you have been going through a fair amount and I expect it has been very stressful.

I would suggest trying to relax, make sure you get enough sleep but not too much if you are too inactive it can make things even worse.

It's worth taking some vitamins like D, B and amino acids also d-ribose and not forget drinking plenty of water.

What is your diet like? This can play a massive role

a large % of patients I used to see who had fatigue even diagnosed with CFS-fibro there problem ended up being diet

• Posted

Recent blood tests suggest Hashimoto's but no treatment as yet because T3 and T4 were within the normal range, got to have repeat blood tests in about a month. At least I finally have some answers and hopefully treatment to follow!

• Posted

I think I may finally be getting somewhere, I had more blood tests on Friday and got a call in the afternoon to say the blood test shows I have an underactive thyroid. Got to go see my doctor and hopefully the next step is treatment! (it's been a long time coming and I'm so relieved)

• Posted

I'm seem to be back at square one! Had a trial of levothyroxine which my doctor has since stopped as she didn't feel it was making much difference? My TSH had dropped from 8.12 to 3.84 which looks like a pretty big difference to me! (T4 stayed around 12 so maybe that was what she was referring to when she said not much difference) Why do we have to fight so hard to get the help we need!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.