Could it be menopause?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I’m 47 and for the last 10 years have had sudden horrible nausea  on occasions (most often in the middle of the night). The doctor put it down to IBS but it never seems to fit other’s experiences of IBS. It seems to happen mid cycle and a few days before my period. In the last week I have also been feeling really hot and sweaty (more than the weather would account for). I’m not getting the sudden ‘flush’ feeling that people talk about with menopause. I have a Mirena coil so periods are a bit hit and miss but I definitely still notice a cycle even if I don’t bleed. Does anyone else have similar feelings?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like me right before getting my periods way before entering perimenopause. My gp said it was ibs also, then said it would go away after entering closer to menopause. He was exactly right on the button. He said this over 30 years ago. Amazingly smart, considering I wasn't even close to perimenopause then. I wasn't on any bcp's or coils. I guess this kept me skinny my whole life until I hit this peri thing. I went on a low dose bcp and blew up like a balloon. Many women, from working in the women's clinic suffered similar symptoms. So to me it's normal to hear of this. You're definitely not alone.

• Posted

No, it's not a perimenopause symptom. I had it my whole life since I started menstruating. What makes it worse is drinking milk. If you drink milk avoid drinking it as much as possible, at least in me, it helped calm the ibs. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.