Could it be my pregnancy? Or something more sinister?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all so I just found out I’m pregnant I’m about 4 weeks along now. For the past few months since probably April or May I notice this uncomfortable feeling in the upper middle of my abdomen but I just ignored it for awhile because I really didn’t have horrible health anxiety yet I thought I was invincible then I went to a gynecologist appointment to get a check up and my gyno pointed out a mole down there that I had had for pretty much ever she said it looked really odd and wanted to do a biopsy well that was a slap in my face and I went into full blown panic anxiety attacks daily I was literally on the floor every day crying and freaking out thinking I had melanoma so they did the biopsy and it came back as just a mole I was relieved which didn’t last long I started noticing that the pain in my upper middle abdomen never really went away and that it had moved to the right and left sides as well so I scheduled an appointment with a gastroenterologist and she booked me for an endoscopy. By this time I noticed my stools had been floating for quite some time and with every bowel movement and that they were a weird light color sometimes they were yellow I mentioned this to her but she didn’t seem concerned. So I went to the endoscopy appt which was a different dr doing it and I told him my concerns of it being something to do with my pancreas, I had had blood tests done about a month or so before the EGD and all my pancreas and liver levels were within normal ranges. The dr who did my EGD said if they don’t find anything in my stomach they’ll schedule me for an mri well after the egd he said there was some inflammation in my stomach lining up where the esophagus meets the stomach so they took biopsies and he said he wanted to schedule me for an ultrasound of my abdomen I went to that and they said all my organs looked unremarkable my liver, portion seen of pancreas, spleen, kidneys, and bile ducts. Then the biopsies came back and I have GERD and gastritis so I was happy I got a diagnosis but just this month my back has been hurting everywhere mainly upper back all over middle left and right and my stools have just been gross looking and still float I still have upper abdominal pain everyday and I’m not sure what else to do? I don’t think they’ll book me for any in depth scans now that I’m pregnant but I am scared they may have missed something because I still have pain especially in the morning and the abdomen pain is awful sometimes it feels like a burning cramping pain and I’m just at my wits end with this pain. Does this sound like my pancreas is failing? Also I don’t have a gallbladder, haven’t had one for 7 years. 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Like I say to everyone else, listen to your doctor. You have a diagnosis which pretty much covers the symptoms you’re having. I imagine being pregnant won’t help those either (not that I’ve ever been pregnant but a couple of my friends had terrible heartburn and reflux when pregnant). Also, I have seen that you can  continue to have gallbladder type pain even after it’s been removed so there’s that. Gallbladder pain (whether you have one or not) can be excacerbated by pregnancy too. Try and look forward to your baby and ask your doctor for advice, not the Internet.
    • Posted

Thank you for replying! You’re right I need to trust my drs and know that pregnancy is awful for me, always has been. So I’m sure my symptoms are just being enhanced from this. I will talk to my dr and see what she thinks I should do next. Thank you 
    • Posted

Has any of your doctors discussed sphincter of oddi dysfunction? This can be a fairly common after the gallbladder has been removed and can cause symptoms similar to a GB attack. I had mine removed almost a year ago and haven't been the same since. 

Do fatty foods or caffeine cause you pain? If I have a burger or a cup of coffee I am in pain for probably a week or so. 

• Posted

No, no one has, how is this diagnosed? I’m the same I can’t have soda or anything super fatty, if I have pizza I’m in pain for a long freaking Time and it’s so frustrating!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.