could it be PA?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I wonder if someone could help me as am very unwell and getting desperate.

I've been I'll six months with still undiagnosed upper abdominal pain. Had tons of blood tests (liver, pancreas, kidneys, blood count, anemia, blood clotting, autoimmune diseases), blood sugar, endoscopy and ultrasound which all show nothing.

My reason for enquiring about B12 is due to many if the symptoms that have developed alongside thus stomach pain. I will list them in order of apoearance:

Sore throat, chest and runny nose

Dizziness & near fainting

Aching all over like having the flu

Very fuzzy brain often with slow movements and unable to focus

Bad nausea

Extreme thirst

Rapid weight loss

Numb feelings in face and neck

Muffled hearing that comes and goes ( I can hear but feels distant like cotton wool in ears)

Pressure in head

Occasionally feeling like I'm going unconscious

All these symptoms have continued for 6 months sltho the weight loss, thirst and neuro symptoms are more recent.

The weight started dropping when the neuro symptoms and thirst started.

Im wondering if my stomach issue is preventing me absorbing B12 as symptoms seem to match.

My GPs aren't being very helpful and starting to treat me like its all in my head but I know its not. As a result its very hard to get them to do more tests as they've concluded I'm fine from the tests I've already had so doubt they will test for B12. I have to keep pushing to have tests done and its very tiring when I feel so unwell.

I purchased a B12 spray and tried some and a lot if the weird brain fog, depression and confusion eased a bit after just a few mins which is interesting.

Thanks!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Acid reflux (which you may not be aware of) can irritate your throat and cause sinus issues like you describe. And whatever is going on in your abdomen could cause malabsorption of vitamins and nutrients and cause you to feel generally horrible. Did they look in both ends with the endoscopy? Any change in bowel habit? Where is the pain?

With the weight loss in particularly they really shouldn't be ignoring you.

• Posted

I know but they just say it must be my diet even though I keep telling them my diet hasn't changed.

Bowl habits are once a day but loose.

Pain is upper central abdomen but endoscooy shows stomach, duodenum, osophagus is fine apart from hiatus hernia. Didnt have lower end endoscopy. Ultrasound showed normal liver, pancreas, gall bladder and spleen. Haven't felt any acid reflux. All normal bloods.

The neuro symptoms are really starting to scare me tho.

I'm a medical mystery!

• Posted

I know but they just say it must be my diet even though I keep telling them my diet hasn't changed.

Bowl habits are once a day but loose.

Pain is upper central abdomen but endoscooy shows stomach, duodenum, osophagus is fine apart from hiatus hernia. Didnt have lower end endoscopy. Ultrasound showed normal liver, pancreas, gall bladder and spleen. Haven't felt any acid reflux. All normal bloods.

The neuro symptoms are really starting to scare me tho.

I'm a medical mystery!

• Posted

Sounds to me (and I'm certainly not a doctor) what you describe about pressure in your head is sinus related, including the numbness. I'd bet with the stomach problem you have a mild B12 deficiency (lots of people do anyway) and that's why you get the benefit of the spray. Depression and brain fog can be the first symptoms. Unfortunately by taking some you might mess up the test if you can pursuade the doctor to give you one, but I don't blame you, I did the same.

I have Crohns Disease, and not saying that you do, but it'd probably explain everything. I've had all those symptoms.

• Posted

hi mandy. so sorry to hear you're having 'double struggles' - symptoms n docs.

the problem with neuro symptoms is they tend to overlap in so many conditions. however, i'd want to have b12 & folate levels checked.

the other thoughts that come to mind is Thyroid/Diabetes. there's also the possibility for Helicobacter Pylori infection of the stomach. i'm wondering if they tested for the infection as well as the endoscopic test. you don't need to have an ulcer to have the infection.

in respect of Thyroid, i'd ask to have T3 & T4 tested as well as the standard Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH). in respect of ruiling out Diabetes, i'd suggest having a 'Fasting Blood Sugar' test done instead of the usual non fasting one.

re Doc. it might be worth considering changing Docs within the practice or going to another practice. they need to get to the bottom of this by a process of eliminating the basics. those last 3 tests are amongst the basics. make sure they know about your sudden weight loss.

lost of luck

Caitlin

• Posted

It does sound as though it might be a B12 problem. Some private hospitals will do a B12 test, but it would mean paying for it, if your GP is totally refusing. Or you could see another GP for a second opinion? Marion
  • Posted

Hi again Mandy, I mean't to say on my last message that I had pain around the upper abdominal area. It was caused by oesophageal spasm, which, in turn, was caused by the hiatus hernia. Sometimes the pain was higher, around my ribs, so it hurt to breathe, and I thought it was a heart attack! After being rushed to A&E twice it eventually got diagnosed. Hope you get some help from your Doctor. Best wishes Marion

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.