Could it be perimenopause at my age of 31

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello Ladies. I'm new to this site and please excuse how long this might turn out.

I'm 31 years old now but started experiencing a number of symptoms the month before I turned 31. I have anxiety, depression, trouble sleeping (I wake up a few times in the middle of the night), oily sweat on my face in the mornings, mood swings, irregular periods, I noticed a long hair that grew out of my chin that I plucked out, brain fog, forgetfulness, achy joints, dryer skin than usual, fatigue and I'm not sure what else. I feel as if I'm in my 40's already because I had my first child as a teen. I just haven't felt like myself lately. I have an appointment with my gyoncologist this coming Monday but could these symptoms be perimenopause at 31 or thyroid disorder or just something else? I will say I'm better than I was in August and September but I still feel these symptoms come and go in waves. Prayers please. Thanks.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I've had pretty much all of those..  Fatigue and dizziness were the worst.   It's great to get a blood test just to make sure.  My blood test showed nothing unusual and vitimin levels were fine.  I just figured it was due to hormones..  I started another womans health vitimin, cod liver butter oil, I try to exercise as much as I can and also just started drinking spinich/fruit smoothies.  The fatigue is gone-- no longer napping... But I just started waking up at 4 am the last 2 nights!!   So I just don't get it either.. When one problem goes away, another one develops!!!   Best of luck with your blood test!!

• Posted

Thank you so much for the reply! Yes, how could I forget to mention the headaches and dizziness...and it's everyday. I take vitamins which help a little. I tried a fish oil supplement which made me sick to stopped immediately. I do walk outdoors as much as possible but still have a bad diet. I have 2 kids so it's hard to eat healthy when they always want either fast food or not so healthy home cooked meals.

I use to wake up between 3 and 4 a.m every night back in August and September. I finally started taking 1 benadryl before bed which helps me sleep and keeps me asleep until about close to 6 a.m. It's the same ingredient that's in over the counter sleep aids. Melatonin also works too.

Well best of luck to you! Hope you get some rest tonight. Take care!

• Posted

It is young Valarie, but with all those symptoms It seems likely.

A friend of mine started at your age, I think the doc gave her HRT

or something similar to slow it down.

Your gynocologist will know and be able to advise you.

Hope all goes well for you☺

• Posted

31 does seem young to start peri, but it's good to see a Dr who understands hormones and can do some tests. It also sounds like the symptoms of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), or low thyroid. Prayers and best wishes of course! Remember, you're not alone.

• Posted

I started early but it has not been confirmed. And I have other med issues. You are even younger. It still is possible but definitely worth checking with a doc. Thyroid can mess your body up pretty bad. All of the symptoms could be due to abnormal thyroid function. Make sure you check that. While checking peri and meno hormones does not always give results, thyroid problems will show easier. Hope you find out soon and feel better. I am 35 and feel way older. It is drpressing. Don't give up though. Go and find a doc that will work with u.

• Posted

Hi, I am new to this too and going through exactly the same. My work have put me on leave because I keep sobbing at my desk every week before my period. Speaking of periods, they started to become irregular late last year, just by a day sometimes then 5 weeks apart for a time and vary in length and how heavy they are. I am irrational, angry, sad and unorganised most of the time. The anxiety and heartburn is unbearable, my sleep is irratic. The docs but me on propranolol for the anxiety and signed my off with stress but I kept saying it's more than that. I had depression, this is different. My skin is changing, I'm exhausted and achy.... the list goes on and I feel like I'm going round the twist until I Googled some symptoms.

I have pushed to see a women's health nurse and having bloods done on Thursday and the could fitted.. I am 39 and originally told I was too young but reading up on it I can see it can happen younger so keep on at them!

Hope you get some answers x

• Posted

Oh my...sorry to hear. Yes I noticed my symptoms are magnified the week or so before my period. Right now for example. The anxiety is bad and I wake up early in the morning with heart palpitations. Its so annoying and I hate it. I feel sorry for all women who have to go through this. it's definitely not a good feeling. Best wishes. Take care.

• Posted

This is me now!!   Right before my periods have been rough but it's been worse all week.. my mood and just angry..  And the last few days my sleep has been way off.  I was crying yesterday but I think I was just over tired..  Hopefully tonight I'll get all the sleep I need!!   Best if luck to all!!

• Posted

Sorry to hear. I too was angry the day before yesterday...all day. I didn't care about anything. Was doing a sloppy job at work. Dismissed my husband and kids and household chores but at the end of the day I felt guilty for it. Then I cried twice yesterday. I really hate feeling this way. I just don't feel like myself anymore. It's so scary. I woke up having a bad day today too. Well best of luck to you too Kelly!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.