Could it be Polymyalgia?

Posted , 57 users are following.

Hello all, I am new here. I am really struggling at the moment with painful symptoms and am getting absolutely nowhere with my GP. I suspect I have some sort of inflammatory condition or disease, and wondered if perhaps someone who has PMR would read my story and tell me if they think I am on the right track.

About a month ago, completely out of the blue I woke up with incredibly painful and stiff shoulders and upper arms. (I knew it was not exercise induced lactic acid muscle pain - I know how that feels, and I had done absolutely no ecercise over the preceeding days - the pain just came out of nowhere.)I found I could hardly get out of bed, and I could not lift my left arm above my head. I felt like I had been hit by a lorry. However, by the time I was moving around the stiffness had gone within about ten minutes, and the pain had lessened but I was aware of soreness in the muscles all day when ever I moved or used my arms. I thought perhaps I was getting the flu, or had a virus, or had slept awkwardly. However, it did not go away, and I have woken with this pain every day since for a month. It seems to be getting worse, spreading into all the muscles of my upper back, shoulders and arms, but I feel it mostly in my biceps and deltoids.The other day I leaned back from the passenger seat in the car to reach something on the back seat - and the pain was enough to stop my breath for a moment - a terrible pain that shot through my upper shoulder. I feel it is the muscles and not the joints. I am taking maximum dose Paracetamol and Ibuprofen in the morning and this helps the nagging, constant pain. I am aware of extreme pain with most arm movements such as wrapping a towel round me, putting on and taking off anything with sleeves...driving (turning the wheel) carrying shoppping bags, holding the dog lead at arms length. I just cannot do the simplest things without feeling pain. Some days are more painful than others and although I am not in constant pain, I have found certain movements will cause me to experience sudden pain which is really excruciating. I have never felt pain like it before, it is unlike any strain, or exercise induced pain I have ever felt.

I went to my GP two weeks ago, who told me I am 'anxious', and that aches and pains are probably perimenopausal in origin (I am 50)he really does not seem to understand just how painful this is. I am not one to argue with the doctor (yet!) so I just took his advice about 'massage' and 'relaxation' and left. I went back yesterday to see a female doctor, and told her I was feeling much worse. She examined me thoroughly (sods law I was having a good day and my muscles although sore, were pliable enough) and gave me a prescription for Naproxyn.'Myalgia' of any sort was not mentioned. I just don't feel they are taking me seriously and I don't know what to ask them to do next

I have also been thinking back over the last year or so, and realise I have experienced a host of strange symptoms. I seem to have 'dried up'! I had painful inflamed skin on the inside of my nose for a long time - it was very irritated and dry and extremely sore - I used to rub on E5 with a cotton bud to try to get some relief. I never went to the doctor with it, as I thought it was fairly minor and was just an allergy. (This symptom has actually settled down now and I only get occasional flare ups.) However, my eyes are also very dry - especially when I open them in the morning - I get a slight ripping sensation as if the lids are stuck to my eyeball - which is probably exactly what is happening. I have been to my optician who did a little test with paper, and told me I did indeed have very dry eyes, but - because I am still producing tears - he did not refer me on to a anyone, , I was simply given Viscotears oily gel to place into the eye. Around January of this year I notoiced my mouth was also unusually dry.I find it hard to eat meals without water, and wake in the morning with my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth. I also have a very strange 'taste' or sensation all the time. I find this very hard to describe as it is not really a 'taste'...more of a change in how my mouth feels. The inside of my lips and tongue feel irritated and almost tingly all the time. And this sounds comletely mad - but I have a genuine sensation of cool mint all the time, almost menthol, which I can feel on the surface of my eyeballs too. Almost like the sensation when you open a jar of menthol rub and breathe in the vaopur.

And lastly, I have a constant burning/tingling feeling on the skin of my face. It feels like mixture of sunburn, and that irritated nerve feeling when you are getting the flu.

I hope someone can identify with anything I have said and give me some advice. Thanks for reading.

4 likes, 147 replies

147 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello everyone and thanks for your thoughtful replies. Before steroid treatment I did have high CPR results. My GP dismissed PSA as I don't have any deformed or fat fingers. But that same GP was adamant that there was no link between PMR and GCA....... looking back I believe I could have had PSA for a very long time - I thought the tenderness on my inner ankles was due to playing lots of hockey at school, but I think that should have healed after 40 years!

Does anyone know what the differences in treatment are? I am on 5mg prednisilone at the mo - was on 4mg but my experiment with echinacea destroyed that. I ache less when on Naproxyn, but can;t stand the itching and peeling skin. Currently waiting for some light therapy.

thanks again.

• Posted

Well - what a performance to get signed in! The page isn't downloading properly and all it would offer is the professional log in or something.

Anyway - the main difference between treatment of plain and simple PMR and psoriatric arthritis is monitoring of the joints for joint damage and use of other stuff like DMARDs to reduce the longterm damage. Initially it would be pred and painkillers which is what you are on - but it is the other bit that is the important bit. PMR is basically the same as RA - except for the joint damage. Those of us that have just PMR only have to worry about developing GCA as we are at a higher risk of that, at least 1 in 6 go on to have a degree of GCA at some time. If you have psoriasis that is the primary risk factor for developing the associated arthritis - so should have been the FIRST diagnosis your GP should have considered.

Have you seen a rheumy? I have this thing about GPs who think they know more than they do - GCA and PMR are not linked, eh? What rheumatology textbook was HE reading. Or, as usual, did he sleep through his rheumatology lectures?

And basically - there isn't a lot of alternative medicine you can use safely alongside pred, as you have found. But manuka honey works well though and is safe!

The Mayo clinic has good info - and I'm sure it mentions other painkillers besides Naproxyn and there must be something that isn't as itchy surely?

Time for a demand for a rheumy (your right) and some x-rays and possibly MRIs - especially if you have ankle problems. If your GP is an idiot - demand to see another. That's your right too.

Do let us know how you get on,

Eileen

• Posted

i have had problems signing in but today its ok totally agree with eileen you need further investigations good luck carolk
  • Posted

Hello again Mugwump

Does anyone know what the differences in treatment are?

I have spoken to my husband's colleague who is on medication for Psoriatic Arthritis. She takes 10mg of Prednisolone daily and 12.5 or 15mgs of Methotrexate weekly (she wasn't sure which one and not near her pills at the time), plus Folic Acid. She has been prescribed various creams for her itchy skin and the one that works the best for her is Coal Tar cream but she said it can sting a bit and being a brownish colour can stain clothing. However, another greasy cream that didn't have this problem didn't work as well either. In the very early days she took Tramadol for her pain. She is under a rheumatologist and perhaps if you asked to be referred you would get a definitive diagnosis one way or the other. All the best and do let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Hello MrsO

Thanks so much for this information. I have seen two rheumatologists, but despite having followed the propsed treatment, I feel I am going backwards.

I will certainly ask to be referred again.

Thanks everyone.

Mugwump

• Posted

Hi everyone,

I am the original poster of the thread and just wanted to update.

I have not been back to the doctor since I was diagnosed with 'nerve pain' and given Amytriptiline.

For the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which I now know is definitely joint pain - it has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs! But seriously, I was just about at my wits end as the pain is severe during the day and wakens me at night. I have had it for over two months now and I am just so weary of it, and so worried what it could be.

However, I went In for my three yearly CS on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health/smears etc are dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong.It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire.A small percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP waved away my questions about this all being hormonal, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

So, perhaps this is the way forward for me and it is not PMR. I don't know what is worse actually, as the pain of this is unbearable, and there is no immediate 'cure' (I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

Anyway this has turned into a whole different thread/topic - but thank you all for your help and advice on this forum, and feel free to remove my question if you feel it is no longer relevent to the PMR forum......however, perhaps it will help another woman who comes here because she thinks that severe pain like this must be more than just 'hormones' and it must be something like Polymyalgia...

Lesley.

• Posted

Lesley: Hey - no - don't disappear now! You can't leave us in suspense because this is relevant to the age group affected by PMR. If your problem does turn out to be hormonal then the more info we have here the better as PMR is a diagnosis of exclusion. All other possibilities need to be ruled out and then you can say, very probably PMR.

But we need to have some idea of what the next stages are for you and how they go about it. Then, when there are people for whom the PMR diagnosis doesn't work, they will have some idea where to look and what to ask about. You've found out how unhelpful GPs can be - believe me, you aren't the only one amongst us who has had that problem.

Very intrigued by the taste bit - I have an almost permanent horrible taste in my mouth too. It's worst in the mornings but there most of the time. Can't remember how long I've had it though.

Eileen

• Posted

Eileen....of course I will hang around and let you all know what happens! I guess I am so used to other medical forums where if you go 'off topic' or start to discuss other illnesses, they boot you out!But of course - as you say - this is NOT off topic - and thank you so much for explaining above (way better than I could) that my case could be relevant to others.

Going in to see the GP tonight at 5.30 so will update later on.

• Posted

Your first symptoms alone reminded me of me. To me, being a Fibromyalgia sufferer for some 13 years, I would lean more towards your problems being that. Especially the pain in the upper shoulder as that is classic.
  • Posted

PS. About the foul taste. I had it for about two months at the beginning of the year, and it was one of the worst things I have ever dealt with. I had a permanent, chemical, awful taste in my mouth - almost like poison. I described it as like when you get an uncoated pill stuck on the back of your tongue when you are trying to swallow it and you get that awful bitter vile taste that wont go away for ages (apparently prednisolone is awful if one gets stuck)I remember when I was pregnant having a metallic for the first few months and that is a known side effect, and KNOWN to be hormonal. I went to my GP with it - I did feel a bit stupid saying I have a vile taste in my mouth, but it was really bothering me, as it affected everything I ate or drank. My GP just said 'that's not a symptom of anything...maybe sinusitis, or a dental problem'. I knew it was not hygiene related, and I know sinus drip (vile in a different way) but this felt almost like poison in my mouth. Estrogen! It just seems to make sense. I've been doing a bit of googling, and apparently the ovaries do have a last surge of frantic activity as they start to pack in and dump loads of hormones into the bloodstream. Seems to make sense to me!

lesley

• Posted

Linda - did you know if you google 34 menopause symptoms, they are nearly all the same as FM.

and, lots of 'menopause joint pain' diagrams are exactly the same as the picture of FM tender points. Do you think it is connected? Are you menopausal, and did your symptoms get worse with meno?

Thanks for your comment, and I will be discussing FM along with PMR and low estrogen with the GP.

• Posted

Hi Lesley,

I am not menopausal, I got over that a long time ago when I had a hysterectomy done. I never really noticed any difference at the time though. I know what you mean about symptoms being the same so I can see where you are coming from. I just wanted to throw something into the mix to help you get to the bottom of things. I really do hope you find some way to ease the pain. My fibromyalgia is at the chronic stage so I am in constant pain. Even trying to type send pain through my hands, wrists, shoulders, neck and upper back. So you may have to excuse me for any typos along the way. I will pop back from time to time to keep up to date(as often as I can and to see how you are doing.

Lin

• Posted

Lesley - I don't know if you ever visited the other forum which is linked in the pinned bit at the top of this forum (the northeast one). If you did you may have noticed that if we chucked everybody off who went off topic there wouldn't be many active members left. It's perhaps more obvious over there, but many of us feel these are support forums for people who can't get to a proper physical group - and they tend to only meet once a month or even every 2 months anyway. It's a long time to be on your own in between. So there we have a laugh, are slightly loony and even discuss the gardening! Or our pets. Or tell bad jokes. :[

Whether you have PMR proper (so to speak) or fibro or a hormonal mess - strictly speaking PMR should be referred to as polymyalgic syndrome. PMR isn't the disease, it is the symptoms of something underlying the pain and the cause of your discomfort. So even if you have a hormonal problem - you are still suffering from polymyalgic syndrome in the form of painful muscles, polymyalgia rheumatica is just fancy med-speak for lots of painful muscles.

So, personally, I don't care if you have dodgy hormones, fibromyalgia, CFS or anything else. If it gives you the same gyp my PMR is giving me, whether pred does it for you or not, there is almost bound to be something we have in common. And you may have found a way of coping with it that I can benefit from. So come on in and let's have a glass of something together and enjoy a chat. biggrin

Add to that the fact that increasing numbers of experts are coming round to the idea that all these ailments are just positions on a long spectrum of autoimmune problems. The main difference is that the autoimmune disease affects different cells in the immune system and they go mad and start to attack your own body. Your symptoms reflect which cells are doing the damage and which body tissue they are destroying.

I said somewhere else, at the start I did all the research - and my symptoms overlapped both PMR and fibromyalgia. Officially, I don't have quite enough trigger points to qualify for fibro but I'm not far off. Some rheumys talk about a generalised connective tissue disease - has something in common with most of the individual ones. They don't know much about any of them, that's why it often takes ages to get a diagnosis of any sort and why they don't have a treatment for many that works reliably. Most of them appear in older women - or we are simply classfied as pre, post or peri-menopausal and therefore silly middle-aged women. But as we become more significant members of the working population as the retirement age rises, we will get more attention and so will our illnesses.

Linda and Lesley - do stick with us! The more the merrier :D

EileenH

• Posted

Thank you Eileen! Sadly, it's a wee bit early (even for me!) for a glass of something...but I am clinking my tea cup at you...

Had an interesting visit with the GP last night. I really feel I might be finally getting somewhere. First thing she said after I explained everything again was ' First things first. What are you doing for the pain'. I honestly could have hugged her - for the first time I felt like someone genuinely believed me. We discussed the fact that the pain does not seem to be inflammatory (no heat, redness, swelling) and range of movement is still normal albeit it hurts like hell.The pain I describe is not indicative of a truly rheumatic disorder, neither is the short time it takes for the initial pain and stiffness to wear off when I wake up. Also, my inflammatory markers were 'in normal range' last blood test.So, thinking along the lines that it could be hormonal, she is ordering a lot of blood tests - full panel for thyroid and hormones, ANA, FSH, cortisol, adrenal something or other and something about white cell count, she is also looking to discount both anemia, and too *much* iron, and lastly another ESR.

I stopped the Naproxen - even though it did help - because it was giving me unbearable heartburn and constipation on top of everything else, and the last GP gave me Diclofenac which does absolutely nothing for the pain. The only thing that gives me any relief funnily enough is plain old paracetamol. However, I got some co-dydramol from this GP soI will try it. Back next Thursday for my results and another chat.

I can't describe how wonderful it is to finally come away from a GP without feeling like they have me marked as a neurotic hypochondriac.My GP practice is pretty big, and I on the few times I have been in (I have a cardiac condition but other than that I am not in a lot) I have just always sort of stuck with the same two or three doctors, and have never seen this female doctor before. She was just what I hoped she would be and I will be sticking with her!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.